We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should I book fishing (Tarpoon) ahead of time?

Fleetwood...
2 posts
Save Topic
Should I book fishing (Tarpoon) ahead of time?

We're visiting Islamorada in mid May and would like to go on a Tarpoon fishing trip. Should we book it ahead of time or wait till we arrive when we see what the weather is going to be like for the week?

Key Colony Beach...
Destination Expert
for Florida Keys
Level Contributor
7,641 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should I book fishing (Tarpoon) ahead of time?

I would wait.

Do your research and nail down a boat, and maybe ask them what they think.

Fleetwood...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Should I book fishing (Tarpoon) ahead of time?

Thanks. I recommendation from a good source was Bud and Mary's. I talked to them briefly and the person I talked to said that I should book it ahead of time, I didn't think that they were saying that to just drum up business. But I see that they have many captains under their umbrella. Is this unusual (are most one man/woman operationsI? I saw one other captain that looked interesting but I wasn't searching much because I someone already recommended Bud & Mary's. Should I rethink this search some more and talk directly to a few other captains?

Thanks,

Kent

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
15,236 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should I book fishing (Tarpoon) ahead of time?

I would ask about their refund policy. If you book ahead and the weather is bad or if you are sick, too sunburned, or any reason not to go what is their policy? Those trips are not inexpensive and thats a lot of money to lose if you end up not going. May usually has pretty good weather but still no way to predict. If you look at the Florida Keys forums you may find a few recommendations for captains. I can't help with that part.

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
515 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Should I book fishing (Tarpoon) ahead of time?

Just my opinion but I would book ahead. I don't know Islamorada specifically but that is prime time for tarpon fishing and, while you might find a guide if you wait, the better guides will probably be booked way in advance. Even if you can find someone they are not going to have a bunch of open dates to choose from so its not like you will be able to cherry pick the nicest day of the week to go out.

I would get in touch with a few people via phone or email, choose the one you like the best and book it.

Key Colony Beach...
Destination Expert
for Florida Keys
Level Contributor
7,641 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should I book fishing (Tarpoon) ahead of time?

Research the captain and boats, and wait. Until you get down to book. Make contact with the captain and make tentative plans, but be flexible.

MOST captains will refund for bad weather. BUT if you are sunburn or sick TS. There is no reason a captain should lose out because of your mistakes.

Level Contributor
1 post
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Should I book fishing (Tarpoon) ahead of time?

Without a doubt. You will find the best guides will be booked way ahead of time and if you do not do this you will be disappointed unless you wNt to fish on a party boat with many other people. I suggest you check with the main areas that the guides fish from. The three that I know would be helpful for you are The Lorelie, the a world Wide, and Bud and Mary's. It would be such a problem to arrive here without a secure booking. You could pay a lot of money and be very unhappy with the results. Good luck.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,942 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Should I book fishing (Tarpoon) ahead of time?

Bud & Mary's has been there for several decades at least -- and yes, I'd book ahead, lest you be left standing on the dock waving while all the prebooked folks head out to go fishing.

Bud & Mary's has a huge marina -- so yes, they'll have a lot of captains who dock there and have a booking relationship with them. B&M also book boat rentals, dive charters, rent slips to visiting boaters, and I think they even have a fuel dock and a maintenance department -- it's a big, old, legitimate operation.

Edited: 01 March 2014, 13:13
Michigan
Level Contributor
12 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Should I book fishing (Tarpoon) ahead of time?

Yes, definitely book ahead of time. Call Captain George Wood 305-664-4942 (Ultimate Fishing Adventures). We went tarpon fishing with him in 2012 and had a great time. And yes, we caught a huge tarpon! Good luck!

9. Re: Should I book fishing (Tarpoon) ahead of time?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 March 2015, 04:18
Get answers to your questions about Islamorada