We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cell phone coverage

Which Islamorada hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta, Georgia
14 posts
Save Topic
Cell phone coverage

Coming down for a week and have Sprint. Do they provide good coverage? Staying in Islamorada.

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
2,159 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Cell phone coverage

I have had great cell coverage throughout the Keys. One thing that I have noticed though, if you are in a spot with a metal roof (relatively common) you might not be able to get a signal and your battery may lose power quickly as your phone continually seeks a signal.

This happens to me up north too, but it has been a semi-frequent problem for me when I'm in the Keys and wanted to make you aware. I usually take my charger with me, just in case, and most places are happy to help you grab an outlet to charge up.

P.S. @mm, I see you're new to these boards so might not be aware that BGs snarky style is part of the experience.

conn
Level Contributor
1,492 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Cell phone coverage

I used Verizon though out the Keys with no problem. For that matter my service was good in Vermont at the Canadian border and other remote areas of New England. When I'm in the Keys I usually carry an extra jug of water and batteries just in case. Chuckle.

Key Colony Beach...
Destination Expert
for Florida Keys
Level Contributor
7,628 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Cell phone coverage

WOW mm goes for the throat with a slam against service workers. Must be nice to be one of the elite.

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
14,900 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Cell phone coverage

OK. Now I'm offended. Buffetguy isn't a bus boy - but I am a busser. And FYI - I don't make my tips from the tables themselves but the servers regardless of what you leave them. Thank you. I probably even bussed your table in ATL. And I'm not ashamed of that.

Townsend, MA
Destination Expert
for Curacao
Level Contributor
1,871 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Cell phone coverage

Some of us need reliable cell phone/wifi , yes, even on vacation. Our businesses don't run themselves and staff may have questions. I appreciate the information! Thanks!

Orlando
Level Contributor
9,695 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Cell phone coverage

The two places I have been shocked with the decent coverage are the Florida Turnpike (as much of it is very rural) and the Keys. I get a better signal in the Keys with AT&T than I do at home.

If you are worried about cell towers, don't.

Sprint, I can't help with.

I also can't help with bashing people in the service industry, as I used to be one of them. I gave up because there were too many whiney big-city idiots LOL

Edited: 07 July 2014, 17:38
Traverse City...
Level Contributor
140 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Cell phone coverage

Cell service in the Keys is generally great.

Our teen turns her phone off on 7 night cruises and never misses it. I think some of her friends would wither up and die. We love our phones but enjoy a break and it's absurd how dependent the teens are getting.

Great insult to the service industry - good grief.

Buffetguy - your posts here are invaluable. Too bad a little humor was taken the wrong way. Gotta' love message boards........

Florida Keys...
Level Contributor
1,595 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Cell phone coverage

Not that it's in the area in the original question, but just in case it's of use to anyone reading this thread, there is a dead spot around the MM98 to about MM95 ish.

Getting calls is just about possible of the time, but data/3G is really a struggle. The Hilton in Key largo at M97 seems to be in the middle of the 'dead zone' and I know of a number of people who have stayed there and been frustrated by not being able to keep in touch. AT&T seems worse than other networks.

It's not always possible your me to just switch off while on vacation, much as I would like to.

They now have permission for a new cell tower in the neighborhood near Harry Harris park at MM95 to solve the problem, but it may be 6 to 12 months before it's up.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
79 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Cell phone coverage

we spend a couple of months down there every year and from everyone's jealous coments Verizon has the best coverage down there

Port Saint Lucie...
Level Contributor
1 post
20 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Cell phone coverage

Verizon's coverage is good. Sprint for me is spotty.