We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dinner with a sunset view & other meals while in town

Level Contributor
787 posts
178 reviews
Save Topic
Dinner with a sunset view & other meals while in town

I've looked at tons of reviews but appears that most of the best locations with sunset views would be too expensive for our family of four with two older teens. What are your thoughts on the best place for dinner and sunset? Lor-e-lai, Morada Bay, Marker 88? Try to keep it under $70 but the kid and I can split a salad and app so the boys can eat more!

Other meals?

Brunch? Bayside Gourmet, Midway Cafe or Mangrove Mike's?

Lunch? Meat Eatery, Overseas Cafe?

Florida Keys...
Level Contributor
2,013 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dinner with a sunset view & other meals while in town

I think you'll find the Lor-e-lei would be a little cheaper than Morada bay or Marker88. It's been a. While since I went to them so I may be wrong.

Personally I would skip Marker 88 and go with either Morada bay, if you can stretch to it, or if not Lor-e-Lei. I've been to Marker88 twice and was disappointed both times. Food was OK, nothing more, and service was poor the first time and just ridiculous the second. There won't be a 3rd !

Morada bay would tend to be the better experience and food, IMHO, but I think you'll struggle there with your budget.

In my experience with Lor-e-lei, if you sit out on their beach area the service can be pretty slow and by the time the food gets brought out there it's almost cold. They didn't appear to have a system of bussing it out when it was ready, it sat waiting for your server to wander up there and find it was ready. That happened twice to us so we don't go there much now, and if we do we sit at the bar for better service and hot food.

You could also look at Islamorada Fish co. Their food doesn't always get the best reviews, but it is a nice spot with a big sporting goods store to explore too that the teens might enjoy (equally the store is worth exploring if you go with one of the other dining options anyway).

Of your other meals, I could only recommend the Midway cafe. Always nice food, good service and reasonably priced for a brunch type snack. I can't comment on the others you mention though I'm afraid, I can't recall going to any of them.

SDT
Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
10,885 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dinner with a sunset view & other meals while in town

Zane Grey Lounge has some outdoor tables with a beautiful sunset view and the prices are very affordable and food is pretty good. They have a kids menu as well. You can see the menu on line here:

…basspro.com/ZaneGreyLounge/OurStory.aspx

Also right in the area is Ma's Fish Camp. No views, but pretty good, relatively affordable food.

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
15,612 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dinner with a sunset view & other meals while in town

I would skip Marker 88. Consider making Morada bay a splurge and go for it. It's beautiful. Or, go for sunset cocktails and move across the street to Ma's for dinner after the sun goes down.

Key Colony Beach...
Destination Expert
for Florida Keys
Level Contributor
7,659 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dinner with a sunset view & other meals while in town

I don't know how old the kids are, but for the absolute best sunset view, head to the old 7 mile bridge. I HIGHLY recommend that you make that drive to take in the sunset on the old bridge.

Level Contributor
787 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dinner with a sunset view & other meals while in town

Thanks so much for all the advice! Definitely trust folks with over 23,000 posts between them! Looking forward to enjoying the beauty you so willingly share with us northerners - although, I am originally a Miami girl :)

Tavernier, Florida...
Level Contributor
83 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dinner with a sunset view & other meals while in town

We live in Islamorada and really like Lorelei, it is one of our go-to places. My wife and one of her friends love Marker 88 but I have not been, I normally work the nights they go.

We just had Islamorada Fish Co. for the first time this week and I loved the food, we had been there many times before to watch the sunset-it is one of the best in the area.

Also in Key Largo Bayside Grill and Sundowners have good sunset views and good food.

~B~

Level Contributor
787 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dinner with a sunset view & other meals while in town

Thanks, Ben. We will have to come back. Too many options and not enough meals. I'll post a trip report soon. We got a lot in during our too short visit!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dinner with a sunset view & other meals while in town

I discovered the Lorelei years ago and loved the casual, laid back "Keys" atmosphere and their nightly Sunset Celebration. I took my kids there many years ago for dinner on the deck and they loved the singer playing music. At that time there was dining inside and out, but I'm not sure about now. We've been back a couple times since and it has never disappointed. I guess if you're looking for a casual atmosphere, go to the Lorelei - otherwise, check out some other places. I plan to stop back there in February and, for convenience, I'm staying at a hotel right across the road from the Lorelei.

Menasha, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
115 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dinner with a sunset view & other meals while in town

Lorelei the link to the web site loreleicabanabar.com/our-menus/…

I cant wait to eat there. The prices look good too.

Watford, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dinner with a sunset view & other meals while in town

I'm not sure this will come in time for you- perhaps too late but I feel like saying something about eating in Islamadora. I am in Islamodora right now and eating out is proving a disaster. I am here for a week with my wife from England and not at all impressed with quality of venues at all. Cafe Michael's is closed until 9th October which has the best recommendations.

MEAT is at best a cheap diner that is not fit to be seen at. My wife refused to enter! 5 tables and a stainless steel counter. Meat and beer might be great but its not fit for a dinner date.

Marker 88 was overpriced, impersonal service but good sunset! (Watch it from the car its cheaper !)

Morada Bay beach cafe had formica topped tables in gritty sand, again over priced for average quality.

We just walked out of Ziggie Mad Dogs without eating due to their disinterest, and intransigent attitude over us only being served what was on their menu. "Company policy will not allow changing of sides". What a weird set up.

Be very careful with the reviews as some of them are posted as restaurants but are cheap cafe/diners. We learnt the lesson the hard way.

Island Grill is next unless somebody out there sees this and helps us.

It seems that a lot of reviews are by 'regulars' who come this way often. No one seems to comment on the general poor decor, tired nature of facilities and staff who all want a better job somewhere else.