We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Islamorada and the Rest of the Florida Keys

Which Islamorada hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Gainesville, Florida
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Topic
Islamorada and the Rest of the Florida Keys

Good afternoon! My husband and I plan to visit the Florida Keys for a week soon. We are staying in Islamorada. We are quiet, non-party-people - we drink very moderately, would like to stick to relatively low-key activities and relax. Does anyone have any recommendations for dining, having a few drinks and listening to music or watching the sunset, riding waverunners, snorkeling, riding non-motarized boats, cultural activities, etc., in the Keys? Any off-the-beaten path places you truly enjoyed? Thanks in advance for your ideas!

Brandon, Florida
Level Contributor
8,388 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Islamorada and the Rest of the Florida Keys

Watch the huge tarpon at Robbies Bait Shop in Islamorada. Read a book called One Tank Trips by Bill Murphy and see what's in it about the Keys. Should also come in handy on your drive back to Gainesville - stop off at Coral Castle near Homestead. There are three books in the series and if you want "off the beaten path" type of places all over Florida, you'll find many in the books.

South Florida...
Destination Expert
for Miami, Key Largo
Level Contributor
3,638 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Islamorada and the Rest of the Florida Keys

I'm sure you've searched Islamorada on this board so know about Morada Bay, World Wide Sportsman (and the Zane Grey Lounge), and Islamorada Fish Company. Low-key activities would include hanging out at the book store in Tavernier Towne Center. They have a nice section of local (i.e, Keys) writers. Robbie's not only has tarpon - they also rent kayaks and do some funky boat tours. You wouldn't be too far from the Everglades if you want to make a day trip.

Newport, Rhode...
Level Contributor
594 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Islamorada and the Rest of the Florida Keys

Take a nice drive to Bahia Honda Park. Its just after the 7-mile bridge. Very, very pretty there! I almost felt like I was in Aruba! If you are into chartering a boat, I would suggest going to Robbies and asking for Captain Chris Morton. He owns a small electric boat with a tarp. He did a great job touring 4 of us around Islamorada and we also stopped for a lunch. It was very peaceful and relaxing. You will love Islamorada as I did!!!

Lazy Days is another great place to eat dinner! Lorelei is another place to catch great sunsets. Have a great time!

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
13,745 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Islamorada and the Rest of the Florida Keys

Take a trip down to Marathon to the 7-mile bridge. Right before it is the Pigeon Key tour. Very interesting. Also on the other side a few miles further is Deer Key. Lots of deer in the wild but they are protected. Don't get any bigger than a large dog. In Marathon is Keys Fisheries, great food. The others mentioned most of the good spots in Islamorada. Feeding the Tarpon at robbies is fun. You can also go up to Whale Harbor around 3 or 4 pm and watch the charter boats bring in their catch.

Another interesting tour is Indian Key. You can only get to it by boat & I'm sure someone on here knows who to contact for that tour.

If not try the chamber of commerce. They will send you an info packet with brochures, etc.

London
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Islamorada and the Rest of the Florida Keys

You sound just like me and my other half. Its already been said, but Bahia Honda you will love, and also the little train ride from knights key to pigeon key, lots of historical facts but pretty to walk round as well. We also love Sombrero Beach, Marathon, very picturesque.

Enjoy.

Summerland Key...
Level Contributor
2,253 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Islamorada and the Rest of the Florida Keys

Wilma destroyed the dock at Indian Key, so it's only accessible by paddle at the moment. it's not far, though, and you can rent kayaks at Robbies. Lignumvitae Key on the bayside is still accessible.

Visiting Pigeon Key is a good idea, since they're going to close the bridge in the nearish future. The island will still be accessible by boat, but I haven't heard how that's going to be set up. Take a picnic lunch, tour the island and snorkel a bit. When the water's clear, we like to walk back across the bridge to check out the view.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
359 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Islamorada and the Rest of the Florida Keys

The best place to watch the sunset is Morada Bay - sit out on the beach and have a cocktail...but get there early - seats fill up right as the sun is going down. There is usually music... Another great place to eat is Island Grill - the outside patio. I don't see it mentioned much here but it is one of our favorites - good fish, laid back, and again - often there is music. Zane Grey Lounge above World Wide Sports is another spot for a decent meal (light) and usually have some sort of music going several evenings a week. Best bet is to ask around when you get there to see where the entertainment is each evenings - it varies and artists move around from spot to spot.

We go to relax as well, and that's a good thing to do in Islamorada as the night life is fairly non-existent after 9 or 9:30. Hopefully you are staying in a quiet resort where you can enjoy sitting on your porch viewing the bay or ocean and/or poolside part of the day.

If you fish, you can't beat lining up a guide and heading out for a morning or afternoon of fishing for your lunch or dinner.

8. Re: Islamorada and the Rest of the Florida Keys

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2009, 03:16