We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pea Soup Water in the Keys? true or false?

2 posts
Save Topic
Pea Soup Water in the Keys? true or false?

I have been reading a bunch of gov sites about the water quality problems in the keys. They talked about the septic problems, and also about the algae blooms. I did notice a couple of pics from Islamorada on the bay side that did look very green and yucky.

Is this what I should expect in April. We are visiting Florida for the first time, and I just wat to prepare myself if that is what I am going to see. I have booked a couple of days camping at Long Key, Boyds and Bahia.

After reading some recent trip reports, the water sounds clean and nice. What is the real deal?

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
16,265 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pea Soup Water in the Keys? true or false?

I haven't been recently but the water on the Atlantic side is always beautiful and clear. The water on the gulf side tends to be a little greener or darker looking. There is less reef on that side, mostly sponges. Also if there has been any storms that stir up the bottom of the ocean that will also make it look cloudy.

Most days you can still see the bottom on the gulf side when you are in a boat. I don't think the polution is that bad yet but they need to stop the cruise ships from being allowed to dump their holding tanks only 3 miles from shore. That is where a lot of the polution is coming from.

The Florida Keys
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Pea Soup Water in the Keys? true or false?

The water down here in the Keys is beautiful! I agree with the other post that states the ocean side is much nicer than the bay side. Usually in April the water is nice and clear. Now, if it is a windy day, the wind will stir up the bottom and cause it to cloud up.

My boss, who is a local resort owner, and I got to talking about the bacteria that sometimes appear in the water. He told me that sometimes the water levels rise so high that the water spills over into septic tanks of beaches with bathrooms. This causes some of the sewage to spill out. It is usually cleaned up within a day or two and is not very common.

Granted, my boss is not an expert but being a local myself I've heard this before.

Also, I've been to Long Key and frequently go to Bahia Honda and they are both nice campgrounds. Bahia Honda is my favorite beach!

2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Pea Soup Water in the Keys? true or false?

I poked around and did some research on some gov sites. It seems that shutdowns near pennekamp is a pretty common occurance. Guess I will just stay south of Islamorada.

Fecal bacteria has been found, as well as other bacteria causing shutdowns. Heard about the septic cessoll problems in the keys. So sad.

Summerland Key...
Level Contributor
2,253 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Pea Soup Water in the Keys? true or false?

Keep an eye on this site, …state.fl.us/irm00beachwater/… which will give you the weekly testing results.

We do have serious nearshore water quality issues, but I think you'll find few problems in April, which is still the dry season. The majority of swim advisories occur in the most populated areas during the rainy season, when runoff is a big issue.

FYI, the appearance of the water has very little connection to whether it's clean.

5. Re: Pea Soup Water in the Keys? true or false?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2009, 15:16
Get answers to your questions about Islamorada
Still have questions?
Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question