We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moving to Marathon...

London
10 posts
Save Topic
Moving to Marathon...

Hey...I'm moving to Marathon in November and won't know anyone. Any tips on where to meet friendly people in their twenties would be gratefully received!

Thanks!

Key Colony Beach...
Destination Expert
for Florida Keys
Level Contributor
7,647 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moving to Marathon...

Where will you be working? I don't have a good handle on meeting people in their 20's - sorry, but try:

Huricanne Bar and Grill on Thursday nights for the chicken wing special. A locals hang out.

Try Sparkys Landing in Key Colony Beach after that for the live music. Barb the Bartender might be able to point you in the right direction from there.

London
10 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Moving to Marathon...

Thanks for the info! I'll be living/working on Coco Plum Drive I think...

Is there much in the way of nightlife in Marathon? I'm a big fan of rock music but I'm not getting my hopes up! :)

Marathon, Fl
Destination Expert
for Marathon
Level Contributor
1,066 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Moving to Marathon...

Let me be the first to say: Welcome to Marathon! Another way to meet people in their 20's would be to join the Jaycees. It is a not for profit group made up with lots of young people.

How did you decide on Marathon?

London
10 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Moving to Marathon...

Thanks...I shall go and Google the Jaycees!! I hope everyone else is as friendly as you!

As for Marathon, well I saw an advert here in the UK to volunteer with adults with mental health problems and I thought the experience would be fantastic (it has nothing to do with the fact that the temperatures are rapidly dropping here in London of course ;-) )

I can't wait to get out there now but the whole not knowing anyone thing is a little scary I must admit!

Key Colony Beach...
Destination Expert
for Florida Keys
Level Contributor
7,647 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Moving to Marathon...

How long will you be in Marathon? The lovely buffettgal and I will be there next week, for a week, so we'll just miss you. Next time down after that won't be until the end of March.

Summerland Key...
Level Contributor
2,253 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Moving to Marathon...

I know several people in their 20s, so I'll pick their brains about where they go to hang out with young folks. The Jaycees is an excellent start.

You'll find most people here -- in Marathon, I mean -- to be friendly. It's a small town, so people who grew up here seem to know everyone else, but there's always an influx of newcomers welcomed with open arms.

Summerland Key...
Level Contributor
2,253 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Moving to Marathon...

FYI, if you're single and female, you probably won't lack for social companions. :)

Missouri
Level Contributor
1,486 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Moving to Marathon...

Screecher,

Hope this doesn't sound too old fashioned but there are always churchs, laundro mats, libraries and grocery stores that younger people go to as well. Best wishes for your move.

punz

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
15,349 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Moving to Marathon...

Welcome to Marathon!!

I'm a Jaycee member. Many great people involved.

I think you will really like Coco Plum, great private little beach over there.

I hope you love it here as much as we do!

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
15,349 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Moving to Marathon...

The Jaycee's have socials about once a week, you don't have to be a member. Usually at a local bar.

Get answers to your questions about Marathon