We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkeling Looe Key vs. Sombrero Reef.. any suggestions?

North Carolina
Level Contributor
66 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Snorkeling Looe Key vs. Sombrero Reef.. any suggestions?

We could snorkel Looe Key out of Bahia Honda (we're staying in Marathon) or snorkel Sombrero and it would be closer.

We're trying to figure out which one would be best and be the best use of our time?

Any ideas or experiences with either?

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
77 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkeling Looe Key vs. Sombrero Reef.. any suggestions?

We have done Sombrero Key out of Marathon - great reef but can be choppy if it is windy. Next time I want to do Looe - further as I think you have to go to Big Pine but I think it is closer in - anywhere you go the fish will be plentiful. Try both

Chattanooga
Level Contributor
351 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkeling Looe Key vs. Sombrero Reef.. any suggestions?

I second the suggestion to do both.

Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,965 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkeling Looe Key vs. Sombrero Reef.. any suggestions?

Hello, fellow NC resident!

We went to Sombrero reef one time, maybe it was just the conditions that day or where our boat captain anchored but it was awful! The water was way too deep for snorkelers (and there weren't any divers aboard) and the water was choppy. My daughters like to dive/submerge way under the water, but even they had a hard time seeing much of anything. We've been to Looe Key with Strike Zone Charters in Big Pine at least a dozen times and always had great experiences. LOOE KEY!!!

-We've stayed in Marathon several times and it's not a big deal to drive to Big Pine,(or if you prefer Bahia Honda-it's a little closer, but Strike Zone Boats are better) a much better experience is well worth a few extra minutes time!

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
15,161 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkeling Looe Key vs. Sombrero Reef.. any suggestions?

I don't dive, but do snorkel, and LOVE Sombrero Reef. Do both if you can, Looe Key isn't that far from Marathon.

We live close to Sombrero and snorkel it often, love going out there. Looe Key is wonderful too.

If you are looking for a good boat to take you out - check out Deep Blue Dive in Marathon. (KCB to be exact)

Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
72 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkeling Looe Key vs. Sombrero Reef.. any suggestions?

We used strike Zone last May and had a great time and a good snorkle..headin down again in May and will be back at Strike Zone...two of us have prescription glasses and they put the correct prescription lenses in the mash for us

6. Re: Snorkeling Looe Key vs. Sombrero Reef.. any suggestions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2009, 01:19
Get answers to your questions about Marathon