We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in April 2010

michigan
Level Contributor
420 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay in April 2010

I ahve been looking from Islamorada to Marathon and considering our options for early April of next year. We are a low key family with two girls 12 and 14. We like to snorkle, kayak, swim and eat seafood! We wanted an "off the beaten path" type old Florida experience...a cottage or effenciency would be best. Also...we are not looking for a very expensive type place. I was looking at Lime Tree Bay, Valhalla Point, Sea Dell and the Sombrero Reef Fishing Lodge....any opinions or suggestions? Many thanks!

Marathon, Florida
Level Contributor
410 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in April 2010

Valhalla Resort is very Keysy and off the beaten path. For a similar experience, check out Conch Key Cottages.

Marathon, Florida
Level Contributor
14 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in April 2010

Please look more at Sommbrero Reef Inn. It is in the middle of everything and right near Sombrero Beach, which I am sure your girls would love. The Beach is within walking distance of the Inn. A young couple owns the place and will be more than happy to help advise you on fishing, kayaks, snorkling or whatever you need. The Inn does have kayaks for guests to use. Valhalla is nice, but a little far from everything.

Marathon, Fl
Destination Expert
for Marathon
Level Contributor
1,059 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay in April 2010

I can recommend Sombrero Reef Fishing Lodge. Like has been said, it is close to the beach, has kayaks and the couple that own it will take good care of you!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
370 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay in April 2010

FYI

We've stayed at Lime Tree in April, May and while the resort is fine, be warned there is an "off smell" everytime we drive through Long Key you get a wiff. Maybe someone else can explain why but I wish I'd known to avoid it. If the wind blows a certain way it's offputting.

Our favorite place to stay if you book well in advance are the cabins at Bahia Honda. Two bedroom airconditioned with a separate deck and picnic taable grilling area, full kitchen and living room. Very basic but very affordable and you are minutes to the wonderful beach at Sandspur. YOu have to watch the availablility calandars and sit on the phone, hit redial and pray as soon as you see your dates open up. Keep it in mind for future trips you won't be disappointed.

michigan
Level Contributor
420 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay in April 2010

I tried to book the cabins at Bahia Honda this year, but had no luck. I will try again for next year. I was thinking about an Airstream on Sugarloaf Key, but I don't know how crowded a KOA gets or if it is even a nice place or worth it? I am also looking at Big Pine Fishing Lodge, Sombrero Reef Fishing Lodge and Valhalla Point. ALOT of the reviews of Lime Tree Bay mention the odor?! Thanks for reminding me about Bahia Honda!

rochester, NY
Level Contributor
28 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay in April 2010

You may also want to consider the Continental Inn in Grassy Key (Marathon). I don't know if I would describe it as "off the beaten path" exactly, but it is a small condo/effeciency unit on a residential "island" called Grassy Key. It has a small but beautiful and very nicely maintained beach with white sand and the water is suitable for both swimming and snorkeling. There is also a small clean heated pool. Each condo unit is privately owned, so the rooms do vary a bit. We stayed there last month and really enjoyed it.

Key Colony Beach...
Destination Expert
for Florida Keys
Level Contributor
7,630 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay in April 2010

Continental Inn is actually in the City of Key Colony Beach, not Grassy Key.

KCB is right at the eastern edge of Marathon.

BUT you are correct the Continental is a nice spot that gets good reviews.

flowers52
Level Contributor
228 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay in April 2010

The smell in long key seems to come from the things that get caught in the mangroves snd then start to decay at least thats what i have been told. and when the water doesnt rush like on the ocean side the smell is there.

I like rainbow bend resort, white sands inn. bonefish bay motel is fairly reasonable and close to everything in marathon

marathon, FL
5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay in April 2010

The smell that you are referring to is the seaweed that accumulates on the bay side of the keys. After a while it starts to rot and the smell is undescribable. Pretty intense. Just part of living in the keys. It does not usually happen on the ocean side.

Kalamazoo, Michigan
Level Contributor
13 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay in April 2010

We stayed at the Bonefish Resort. Nice room, that reminded me of a small cottage. 2 double beds, ceramic floors, seperate kitchen, outdoor patio table and chairs and private bbq grill. Clean, and on the ocean side. They have paddleboats and kayaks. A small but nice pool that we had privately the whole time we were there in March. Beautiful covered deck and porch swing thats by the ocean that is WONDERFUL to sit and watch the sunrise over the ocean in the morning. Great photo ops. I woke my hubby up every morning to go sit out there with me. The morning air there is like nothing else I can describe, it was so relaxing. I can't say much about the employees because we never had to see them. Our stay was great. Our teenage boys had a blast looking for creatures in the ocean. I would recommend the Bonefish resort, it was affordable as well as clean.