We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to go for long walks or bike rentals?

new york
Level Contributor
35 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
where to go for long walks or bike rentals?

My husband and I are travelling to Marathon this coming Monday. We've never been so this is all new to us. I have tons of info regarding restaurants. We're staying at Tranquility Bay. When we go to other places in Florida, we take long walks up and down the beach at least once a day for a little excercise. I know the Keys don't really have those long stretches of beaches so can anyone recommend where we can go (even if we have to drive a little) for walks that wouldn't necessarily be along the side of a road? Any info about bike rentals close by would help too.

Thanks much in advance!

'

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
15,269 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to go for long walks or bike rentals?

http://www.bikemarathonbikerentals.com/

Here is one link to bike rentals. I can't remember who we used when we were there. You might check with the resort. Some places have bikes you can use on site.

Bahia Honda State Park has a great beach to walk on tho will charge an entry fee to get in. You can park at the 7 mile bridge and walk or bike on the old section which gives you a great view of the water without being in the traffic. Sombrero Beach is large enough to do some walking just not a great distance. You can also transport your bikes into Key Colony Beach which is a nice area to ride as there is little traffic, if you go in the evening go to Anne's Beach to watch the sunset then go to Sparky's for dinner or cocktails. Ride in the area where the higher street numbers are and you will see some really beautiful homes.

Key Colony Beach...
Destination Expert
for Florida Keys
Level Contributor
7,641 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where to go for long walks or bike rentals?

You can take the bike path from darn near the 7 mile bridge to Islamorada.

You can walk around Key Colony Beach.

You can walk the old 7 mile bridge.

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
15,280 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where to go for long walks or bike rentals?

there's bike rental place close to tranquility with the nicest rentals in town - Overseas Outfitters. bayside right past you.

as mentioned - the old 7 mile bridge. if you want to tour pigeon key - buy your tix from the train on the oceanside before starting on your trek. you can go on the island, but only to the bottom of the bridge without a tix. nice history of keys and railroad.

ride the bikes from tranquility to sombrero beach.

grassy key trail.

crane point for a 2 mile walk.

unfortunatly the grassy key trail ends on grassy key, but SOON you'll have it to duck key.

4. Re: where to go for long walks or bike rentals?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 April 2010, 06:21
Get answers to your questions about Marathon
Recent Conversations