We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Group of 9 coming to the Marathon area

Prairie Village...
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Group of 9 coming to the Marathon area

Hi, we have 5 adults and 4 children ages 15,16,17 &17 traveling to the keys in March 2010. Where would you suggest we stay in the Marathon area? One of the adults cannot do stairs so we'll need a bedroom/bath on the first level. We will also need a kitchen so we can cook-in when we want. Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,975 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Group of 9 coming to the Marathon area

Look in the Key Colony Beach community just off of Marathon. Most homes there are ground level, one story. Look for homes which come with "Cabana Club" membership. The kids will like that; nice pool area on it's own private beach. Look at VRBO.com or local vacation property management/realty companies.

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
15,606 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Group of 9 coming to the Marathon area

In KCB there is only 1 home that I know of that holds 9 people and it does have stairs. The average duplex in KCB only allows 6 persons. You would have to rent both sides of a duplex to accomodate everyone. There are a couple of units that sleep 6 upstairs and you can rent the downstairs with it which sleeps 2 or 3. Another way is 1/2 duplex and a room at the Continental Inn. As suggested look at www.vrbo.com and you may find some homes that will hold everyone. There is also Tranquility Bay on the gulf side of Marathon but I think their units only hold 6.

Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,975 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Group of 9 coming to the Marathon area

I counted 13 homes on VRBO on Key Colony BEach which sleep 10. There are also a good number of homes which sleep 8 in Key Colony; I guess most are 2 story.. Many times I've found when I have 1 person over the limit; if I'm upfront with the owner about it, it's no problem have an extra person and bring along an air mattress; kids don't mind this. As wheels mentioned most homes in KCB are duplexes( these are all one story), however all the ones I've rented or inquired about sleep 4 each side, and on occasion I've been allowed to have 5 people for a weekly rental. Inquire if you can have one extra person, if so rent both sides.

Some of these homes also have private pools on their property in addition to the Cabana Club membership.

There are also some very nice large waterfront homes for rent on VRBO throughout the Marathon area, some come with a pool. Since there's really no difference in the water, bayfront or oceanfront in the Keys, when I'm not staying in KCB, I always look for a home on the bayfront, most of those have awesome sunset views!

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
15,481 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Group of 9 coming to the Marathon area

Most real estate agencies in the area have rentals. Contact them as well. You'll find rental homes there as well.

Island Breeze is one place to start.

Key Colony, Sombrero, Coco Plum are just 3 of the areas to stay in. Also nice rental homes on the bayside behind the airport and on Grassy key.

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
15,606 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Group of 9 coming to the Marathon area

This is the rental company I use to rent in Key Colony Beach. www.keysproperties.com/rental/default.html and as stated there are many other Real estate companies with rentals in KCB.

VRBO may have rentals that sleep 10 but they are probably not supposed to be doing so as the rule in KCB is only 1 person per 200 sq. foot of living space. See City Of Key Colony Beach Rules: keycolonybeach.net/documents/rentalrules.pdf

Many homes have extra beds but they are not supposed to be renting to as many people as can fit in the house. You have to remember these homes are on a septic system and when you overload it you or the next person renting are going to have a problem. Especially the older single story homes. Many of the newer duplex units are 2 story with the bottom floor being a small storage room and the top floor being the main area.

I don't mean to knock VRBO because I have rented thru them but the individual people don't monitor their properties the way the realty companies do.

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
15,481 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Group of 9 coming to the Marathon area

As much as I like KCB - don't limit yourself to there with the size group you have. KCB is it's own city with it's own rules. Marathon, 20ft off of KCB, has larger homes that can accomodate more people.

The neighbors in KCB are quick to turn in rentals that have too many in there.

7. Re: Group of 9 coming to the Marathon area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 April 2010, 06:18