We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Update on seaweed situation at Sombrero Beach

UK
Level Contributor
90 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Update on seaweed situation at Sombrero Beach

Is anyone able to give me updates on the seaweed situation at Sombrero Beach before I book to stay in the area mid December?

Fort Lauderdale to Key West Tour
15 reviews
from US$97.00*
Special Offer
Day Trip to Key West
50 reviews
from US$94.00*
US$99.00
Helicopter Flight Over Seven Mile...
1 review
from US$154.99*
Dolphin Research Center and Florida...
2 reviews
from US$155.88*
Key Colony Beach...
Destination Expert
for Florida Keys
Level Contributor
7,659 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Update on seaweed situation at Sombrero Beach

The only thing that I can predict with any certainty, is that the situation MAY change from whatever it is now.

If there is sea grass on shore, it'll be gone (or not), if there isn't sea grass, there may be some (or not).

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
15,619 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Update on seaweed situation at Sombrero Beach

If the wind is blowing from the east - the Oceanside gets grass. If the wind is blowing from the West - the bayside gets grass.

Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,984 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Update on seaweed situation at Sombrero Beach

Thanks buffetguy, I've been needing a good laugh today! yep, when you walk out on the beach and see seaweed (actually seagrass in the Keys), it's there, and when you walk out and don't see it, it's not there. lol!

From experience with hometown friends who I vacationed with once in the Keys, (they complained and hated pretty much everything about the Keys!) if you like to spend much time on a beach, and if seaweed/seagrass bothers you, the Keys probably aren't your kind of place.

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
15,619 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Update on seaweed situation at Sombrero Beach

and today - not a blade to be found.......on the Oceanside

Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,984 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Update on seaweed situation at Sombrero Beach

Years ago, on one of the first Keys trips we took our kids on, a park ranger at Bahia Honda took my kids out on the beach and picked up a pile of seagrass washed up on the shore. He told them about how important the seagrasses were to the Keys environment and the sealife in the area waters; showed them tiny creatures which were in the grasses, etc. He also told them how the seagrass beds are threatened, and being lost. From then on our family has had a great appreciation for the seagrasses we find on the beaches, and rarely do we allow any smell associated with them bother us.

6. Re: Update on seaweed situation at Sombrero Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 May 2010, 06:19
Get answers to your questions about Marathon