We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

East Sister Rock - Marathon, FL, experiences?

Which Marathon hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
California
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
East Sister Rock - Marathon, FL, experiences?

Saw this website recently:

http://www.floridaisland.com/

Wondering if anyone has been there and rented the place recently and what the experience was like. Anyone know about this place?

Key Colony Beach...
Destination Expert
for Florida Keys
Level Contributor
7,627 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: East Sister Rock - Marathon, FL, experiences?

Never stayed there, but I;pve been by it on a boat. It looks amazing.

If the weather is nice, that would be a really cool place to stay.

California
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: East Sister Rock - Marathon, FL, experiences?

Thanks Buffetguy. That is a big "if" though isn't it ... I wonder how hard it would be to get to the island from Marathon's shores, i.e. if one wanted to get into town and have a great dinner/evening, then try to get back to the island at night. Though the place looks way cool, I'm not so sure about navigating a boat at night.

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
14,785 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: East Sister Rock - Marathon, FL, experiences?

It's (the island) is VERY close to their dock. If you look at Google Earth, their shore dock is in the canal directly behind it. Even swimable. We snorkel around it often, nice little patch reef next to it.

California
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: East Sister Rock - Marathon, FL, experiences?

Thanks Bluewater, that is reassuring. Know anyone who has stayed there? Any comments on the experience? Was it worth it, etc?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,185 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: East Sister Rock - Marathon, FL, experiences?

Coincidence...a well traveled friend tole me about East Sister Rock Island just this morning. Check out the several videos on U-Tube if you have not already done so. I found that helpful...not only for getting a "feel" for the accommodations, but also a sense of location in relation to the Marathon shoreline.

Edited: 08 October 2011, 19:07
California
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: East Sister Rock - Marathon, FL, experiences?

Thanks for the help. We just returned from spending a week there.

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
14,785 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: East Sister Rock - Marathon, FL, experiences?

And? How did it all go?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,185 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: East Sister Rock - Marathon, FL, experiences?

Yes, please...would very much like to hear about your stay / East Sister Rock in general....

California
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: East Sister Rock - Marathon, FL, experiences?

It was great. A little rough arond the edges, but a really unique experience. And for those of us of moderate income, a once-in-a-lifetime kind-of experience.

I have very little boat experience, yet had no trouble at all piloting the Carolina skiff they give you to shuttle yourself from island to mainland. Shuttle from mainland to island was maybe 15 minutes. Again, with little experience in such nautical matters, I was able to do this with one lesson and even do it at night with nothing but the moonlight to guide me (and sometimes not even that). The skiff, I was told, can take waves up to 3-4 ft. We unfortunately got to test that out at about 2-3 feet (kinda scarry) and again had no trouble. Life vests are provided.

It was extremely cool to be on an island with no neighbors. We were looking to really GET AWAY - get away from work stress, get away from our daily routine, get away from crowds and noisy cities, get away from hustle and bustle, get away from dry weather and pollution, get away from the daily grind and everything else. This island provided that in spades. The three bedrooms are well furnished and can easily accomodate a large group of people. The dining table is huge and great for large shared meals, puzzles, board games, shell collections and everything else, all at once. Satallite tv with the Weather Channel was very nice to have. Sliding glass doors literally all around the house allows you to feel the ocean breeze throughout the entire house.

The home is entirely off grid, but still has indoor plumbing and running water (hot and cold).

The pool out back is filled with fresh salt water from the sea.

You get to see both sunrise and sunset every day (weather permitting). The wraparound covered porch is ENORMOUS and could accomodate a party of 200 probably.

This place has everything with sea kayak, outdoor grill, snorkeling right off the dock, resident iguanas, pool table, tv, stereo, etc. Heck its even got a helipad if you have the extra cash and don't know what else to do with it. Beds are in great condition and there's plenty of dressers and nightstands and closets and hangers and bedding and such.

It was cool just to walk out to the dock and see all the fish swimming around it. I bet the fishing would have been great there, but I did not try it. I was more interested in seeing the wildlife, not catching it.

The stars are beautiful at night.

The owner was very easy to communicate with and the caretaker was very accomodating with everything we requested and very knowledgeable about the area.

Some things that were maybe a little less than wonderful: bath drains were backing up on us for some reason, some plates and cups are chipped and possibly dangerous for smaller folks, towels were white which is great when they're new but not so great when they've been well used - even when clean the stains show through, stereo was just a little boom box cd player thing - the surround sound speakers apparently were not functioning, several light bulbs were out and it seemed difficult to gather enough lights about to see everything at night, air conditioning fee is a bit steep if you opt for it (but understandable considering it is run by generator which requires hauling fuel out to the island), there's not much sandy beach area - but you can plainly see what the island looks like from the photos on their website, the curtains were not great, and some stuff was just kind-of worn down - however, to be fair, it is well known that anything exposed to sea breezes typically only has a half life of 18 months or less once placed brand new into those conditions, so it is not surprising that stuff (including electrical) just breaks down and is difficult to keep up with replacing all the time.

Overall, the positives of the escapist experience far outweighed any little discomforts there may have been. You certainly are not "roughing it" out there, but neither is this a five star hotel. You are paying for the privilege of being on your own island and all the unique experiences that go with that, not for Egyptian cotton, jacuzzis, espresso machines or surround sound.

If anybody reading this is planning a visit, feel free to drop me a line if you like.

Hamilton, Ontario...
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: East Sister Rock - Marathon, FL, experiences?

Hello, I am interested to know which is the closest marina on the mainland from where you can cross east sister rock. Thank you