We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

water fun and beach recommendations - feb 13-19th

Ohio
Level Contributor
3 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
water fun and beach recommendations - feb 13-19th

My husband and I are finally getting away for the first time since our daughter was born 2 years ago!!! We are staying in marathon and have jet skiis and a vehicle. Where are the BEST spots to go exploring with the jet skiis? Food suggestions? Beaches? Any place we shouldn't miss? We are willing to drive to a must see place even a few hours away. Appreciate any suggestions to make this trip memorable!!

New York
Level Contributor
913 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: water fun and beach recommendations - feb 13-19th

Robbie's in Islamorada is a must-do!! You can feed the huge Tarpon by hand. You might also be lucky enough to see some manatees. Also, you'll want to take a daytrip to Key West. Enjoy your trip!!

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
14,660 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: water fun and beach recommendations - feb 13-19th

When will you be visiting? Time of year can make a big difference on weather, etc. Sombrero Beach in Marathon is popular and Bahia Honda Park is just on the other side of the 7 mile bridge and is very nice. You can get there by jet skis too and you could visit Pigeon Key by jet ski but if you take the tour you get the historical info that goes with the island which is interesting. Sparkys in Key Colony Beach has great food and ambience. We also like Burdines for lunch and the Upper Crust for Italian. Stuffed Pig for breakfast. Check out the Florida Keys & Key West forums for more info on things to see & do in the keys.

Key Colony Beach...
Destination Expert
for Florida Keys
Level Contributor
7,631 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: water fun and beach recommendations - feb 13-19th

If it were me, I'd leave the jet skis at home. Just my 2 cents.

Food - Our favorite place in Marathon is Sparky's Landing. The fish tacos are wonderful, so is the bacon and shrimp pizza, the coconut basil clams are darn good also, not to mention the buffalo oysters, . . . .

Beaches: Arguably one of the best beaches in the keys is Sombrero Beach. In Marathon. Another good beach is Bahia Honda.

Any place that you shouldn't miss? Walk the old 7 mile bridge, Turtle Hospital, Dolphin Research Center,

What do you like to do and see? Kind of hard to make suggestions when we don't know anything about you.

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
14,660 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: water fun and beach recommendations - feb 13-19th

Jet skis can be a problem if there is a lot of seaweed. Thats why I ask when they are visiting. September seems to have a lot then, we spent more time cleaning seaweed off the bottom then going anywhere.

BG, have you read Where is Joe Merchant? Good one about jet skis in the keys LOL!

Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: water fun and beach recommendations - feb 13-19th

Hello,

We will be there as well that week. I have done alot of research, and I suggest you get this book " Florida Keys Paddling Atlas" by Bill and Mary Burnham. It has very detailed navigatonal maps of all the keys, and also of where jet skiis are not allowed, which were quite a bit due to shallows and mantee. Please be very careful not to injure the wild life.

The book also points out beaches, camp sites on keys, etc...tides, water depth....it is a must.

Janice

Canandaigua, New...
Level Contributor
2,052 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: water fun and beach recommendations - feb 13-19th

We are here now in Marathon with a jet ski but have yet to go out due to the high winds, we will be storing our jetski at Marina Junction on ocean side giving us access to boot key harbor and after the canal going to Sombrero Beach.

First go to the Marathon Visitor Center and get the free nautical maps that shows you how to go around the island.

Worthwhile taking the jetski too is Bahia Honda.

Edited: 29 January 2013, 22:14
7. Re: water fun and beach recommendations - feb 13-19th

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 January 2014, 07:18