We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place to stay?

Which Marathon hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bristol, Virginia
Level Contributor
492 posts
162 reviews
Save Topic
Best place to stay?

Thinking of Tranquility Bay. Just my husband and I and we are 30. Like a good place to swim, not many kids around would be nice, nice grounds, etc. Visiting for the first time so would like a homebase and then explore other areas for a day trip. Is

michigan
Level Contributor
418 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place to stay?

Tranquility Bay is a very nice place. There are families there, but I am pretty sure there is an adult only pool. We've visited friends who were staying there…the lodging was lovely…they have a nice "beach" and a great restaurant and tiki bar onsite.

Bristol, Virginia
Level Contributor
492 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place to stay?

does tranquility bay have good swimming? im not talking about pools but beaches and ocean swimming? seems like a lot of places i look at in the keys have no swimming.

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
14,554 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place to stay?

It's OK. They have a small man made beach. No, not a lot of great swimming right from shore unless they have a rock wall - then it's possible it's deep enough.

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
14,554 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best place to stay?

Forgot to add -

Tranquility is a big family place. Have you looked at Casa Morada in Islamorada? You can swim there and not a big family place.

Bristol, Virginia
Level Contributor
492 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best place to stay?

How about hawks cay?

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
14,554 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best place to stay?

Another Family spot. The big resorts are all about family unless you check out the one mentioned above , or Little Palm and The Moorings - both of these places have beautiful beaches - but, here in the Keys - snorkeling from the beach is hard. Find the rocky areas for more fish.

Edited: 03 March 2013, 00:02
michigan
Level Contributor
418 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best place to stay?

I would think the BIG influx of families would be during Spring Breaks…but I could be wrong! Casa Morada sounds nice!! The Continental has a swimmable beach…but it's not very upscale or romantic! Conch Key Cottages is really nice…old Keys-style and you get a kayak….but it is really too shallow to really "swim"!

The Moorings would be dreamy….but it is very expensive!

Good luck!

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
2,114 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best place to stay?

When are you going? There are times you cannot avoid families unless you spend the money to stay at more exclusive places.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best place to stay?

little palm island

Bristol, Virginia
Level Contributor
492 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best place to stay?

We want something moderate priced - like no more than around 300 a night but hopefully less. Wanted to go either late april, may or june.

Get answers to your questions about Marathon