We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Glunz Ocean Beach Hotel Resort

Joliet, Illinois
Level Contributor
116 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Glunz Ocean Beach Hotel Resort

Hi,

Has anyone RECENTLY stayed at Glunz Ocean Beach Hotel and Resort. if so What did you think? How was Bar next door? How was their beach and water? Any recommendations for food, activities for fun? Thanks!

Marathon, Fl
Destination Expert
for Marathon
Level Contributor
1,074 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Glunz Ocean Beach Hotel Resort

I had to google the Glunz part, never heard it called that before. It was recently updated so I bet is nice. The bar next door is great, often has live music. The beach is nice, not a long beach but great for swimming. They have a nice pool also. The bar next door is also a restaurant and has good food. Key Colony Beach has some good food options, Sparky's being our favorite.

Washington
Level Contributor
536 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Glunz Ocean Beach Hotel Resort

They must have done signifciant updating because it was not like that when we stayed there 2 years ago. Smelled moldy, mildewy. Furniture was old. Refrigerator and stove had rust. Good things about it were the nice beach and pool and great restaurant next door with live music. The hotel itself was like a 1950's "motor hotel". I had heard that someone had bought it and it does look nice now. If you go, please post and let us know how it is.

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
15,471 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Glunz Ocean Beach Hotel Resort

Sher - Glunz has only been open a month or two. Wasn't the same place two years ago. Same spot on the map, yes, but it's not the same place as two long years ago.

Marathon, Florida
Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Glunz Ocean Beach Hotel Resort

I visited the hotel when it was completed. They have gone over the top to make this probable the nicest hotel on the in Marathon. I stayed in the suite and didn't want to leave. The view, the beach, and the room was perfect. I recommend you make reservation in advance.

Edited: 17 May 2013, 13:00
Joliet, Illinois
Level Contributor
116 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Glunz Ocean Beach Hotel Resort

Thanks, we are booked and ready!

Delaware
Level Contributor
200 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Glunz Ocean Beach Hotel Resort

Hello,

Does anyone know if any other bars/restaurants are within walking distance of this hotel, besides for the tiki bar next door? I have been considering this as an option for us, but we do enjoy being able to walk or ride bikes to place to eat or have a drink

Thanks!

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
15,471 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Glunz Ocean Beach Hotel Resort

There are six within walking distance. Besides cabana breezes next door there is also Key Colony Inn, Leigh Ann's, and Sparky's Landing are the closest. Slightly farther are Tarpon Creek and The Island.

Key Colony Beach...
Destination Expert
for Florida Keys
Level Contributor
7,651 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Glunz Ocean Beach Hotel Resort

My personal opinion is that Tarpon Creek is over priced for the food. The Tiki Bar is awesome, so the ambience is good. The food is OK, but like I said, over priced.

Haven't eaten anything but breakfast at Leigh Ann's. They have good coffee. Very good coffee.

Sparky's Landing is our favorite by far. Great food, good entertainment.

Delaware
Level Contributor
200 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Glunz Ocean Beach Hotel Resort

Great thanks for the responses - was hoping for some options within walking distance! One more question for you all - are there any bike rental shops in the area?

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
15,471 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Glunz Ocean Beach Hotel Resort

On the other end of town - Overseas Outfitters. Not sure if they deliver or not. There's Wheels 2 Go also, but I like Overseas.