We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Sarasota to Marathon in february

South Yorkshire
Level Contributor
316 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Driving from Sarasota to Marathon in february

How long will it take ? Sticking to speed limits of course

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
4,861 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Sarasota to Marathon in february

About 5 hours plus stops. I would get on US41 after Naples (or visit Naples) and take Krome Avenue (997) via Homestead rather than Alligator Alley. There are various places to stop.

South Yorkshire
Level Contributor
316 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Sarasota to Marathon in february

Many thanks g0akc. Quite a distance then ! Thanks for the route suggestion

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
4,861 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Sarasota to Marathon in february

It's just over 300 miles. Think, say, York to Exeter, but easier driving.

My suggested route is shown in the link here;

http://goo.gl/maps/oHr1c

Stop press - Google maps keeps defaulting to the toll route so this may not show properly

You may wish to avoid the Turnpike between Miami and Homestead as you will need to use cashless tolls, which can becaome an issue with a rental car. It depends what rental firm you are using, but Dollar, for example, charge about $40 a week to use their toll scheme.

The route I've shown avoids the tolls including the I75 toll booths on Alligator Alley.

It's a fun drive so don't be put off. Naples has places to stop including cafes. There's a tourist info. office at Carnestown on the US41 (next to Sherrif's office with radio tower) that's worth stopping at with clean restrooms, and there several National Park rest stops/buildings en-route. Clyde Butcher's photo gallery is nice and you can stretch your legs on a short nature trail there.

It's worth filling up with petrol before you leave the Naples area if you need to. There is gas station at Carnestown but it's relatively expensive. The one at the US41 and 997 junction is OK. Gas gets cheaper as you get towards Homestead. You enter a farming area there with various fruit and plant growers. It's worth a detour to 'Robert is Here' for fruit drinks if you have time......

Edited: 16 January 2014, 11:27
Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
4,861 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Sarasota to Marathon in february

My suggested route is I75 to Naples (take exit 101 unless you want to go into Naples in which case take an earlier exit).

951 Collier to US41 'Tamiami Trail'

US41 East towards Miami

Near the Miccosukee resort, and a large gas station, turn right onto the 997 to Homestead

Through Homestead/Florida City to join US south to the Keys.

Edited: 16 January 2014, 11:34
St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
for St. Moritz, Engadin St. Moritz
Level Contributor
4,368 posts
428 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Sarasota to Marathon in february

Instead of making a detour to visit Robert is here, there are several smaller fruit stands by Cuban or Mexican pleople right on Krome - we usually stop at Margarita's fruit stand - marvellous fruit juices, right made up on request, much more fruit and less ice and a third the prize of Robert's - and they still remember us each year.

South Yorkshire
Level Contributor
316 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from Sarasota to Marathon in february

Sorry for the late reply guys. Haven't fully read your messages yet. Will do so now

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
210 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from Sarasota to Marathon in february

I agree with g0akc about the route. I drive down from Tampa a lot and, other than the drive on 75 from Tampa to Naples, I absolutely love the drive down. Taking 41 instead of 75 across the state makes all the difference in the world. There's some great, easy trails through the Everglades to explore and the Clyde Butcher gallery is a great pit stop. As far as road trips go, it is one of the most enjoyable I know of in Florida (of course, some of that is due to the fact that you end up in the Keys!). There is also a winery/brewery around Homestead that I keep meaning to try out but never get to. Might be another fun excursion on the way down.

South Yorkshire
Level Contributor
316 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving from Sarasota to Marathon in february

Thanks Lindsay. All sounds good

9. Re: Driving from Sarasota to Marathon in february

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 January 2015, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Marathon