We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shingle Creek Regional Park and Kissimmee Lakefront Park??

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,937 posts
247 reviews
Shingle Creek Regional Park and Kissimmee Lakefront Park??

We want to go to both of these parks and we can go to both on one day or split it up for 2 days. We are looking at going on Sundays or Thursdays. Although weather forecast when we are there will play into it as well. I would kind of like to go on a day that is a little busy as I do not want to be there all by ourselves. We love nature and parks but not isolation. Do either of these locations have bike rentals? Anything, we should bring or take notice of. Both parks have free parking which is a major plus.

8 replies to this topic
Kissimmee Florida
Destination Expert
for Kissimmee
Level Contributor
3,570 posts
40 reviews
1. Re: Shingle Creek Regional Park and Kissimmee Lakefront Park??

Neither park has bike rentals although the Shingle Creek Park has Kayak rentals. The Lakefront Park is busy all the time, so you will not feel isolated. The Shingle Creek Park is a favorite of dog walkers, so while it will not be as populated, it will not be isolated. Shingle Creek Park has two sections. Bird watching is better in the north section, and you should look for the smaller birds, like the warblers and sparrows in the bushes alongside the paths. The south section has the kayaks. My recommendation would be to do the Shingle Creek Park in the morning and the Lakefront in the afternoon with lunch in downtown Kissimmee. There are several restaurants on within a block of Main Street between Rose and Neptune. Bird watching at the lakefront will mostly include waterfowl like the herons, egrets, and limpkins. If you are lucky, you might see an eagle. There are several nests on the opposite side of the lake.

CTR

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,937 posts
247 reviews
2. Re: Shingle Creek Regional Park and Kissimmee Lakefront Park??

CruisingtoRetirement

Kissimmee Florida

Thank you for all the information!

Have never kayaked, so too chicken to do that. Lakefront park looks really great and I am going to bring my binoculars. Plan on bringing a nice picnic, but might check out some of the restaurants around there too. My DD loved the pictures we saw on tripadvisor, hope we get to see the same.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,937 posts
247 reviews
3. Re: Shingle Creek Regional Park and Kissimmee Lakefront Park??

I just found another hiking place. This one will probably replace Shingle Creek for me.

https://floridahikes.com/reedycreek

Still plan on doing Lakefront, it looks like a great nature park and it is not too far from where we will be staying.

Orlando, FL
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
17,753 posts
4. Re: Shingle Creek Regional Park and Kissimmee Lakefront Park??

The birds you are most likely to see at the Lakefront Park are those annoyingly little blackbirds! I've never considered it a nature park though I suppose its location along the shores of beautiful Lake Toho makes it so. To me it is more an urban park. Kissimmee is no booming metropolis, but the cute Downtown area is within walking distance and you will be within view of cars and buildings and in plenty of company while you are there. It's a great place to visit which locals love and enjoy. There are festivals, food trucks on first Fridays, movies in the park in cooler months, and with two playgrounds, a splash pad, and numerous rentable pavilions it will be full with kids, and people walking, jogging, riding bikes, birthday parties on the weekend kind of place. It's a good place to execute your picnic idea. Or there are some nice places to eat in Downtown Kissimmee or grab an icecream with bounce houses for the kids at Abracadabra. I have seen some small alligators at the Lakefront Park on a couple of occasions. Ducks, some wading birds.

Shingle Creek has numerous possible parking places. By north, I believe Cruisingto refers to what is known as Babb Landing. This is also where the Pioneer Village is located. That's an attraction you may be interested in. It does have a small fee. By south, I believe he refers to Steffee Landing which is where the Paddling Center kayak and canoe rentals are. There are other spots to it as well with much of it connected.

As a precursor to any hike, I might suggest stopping in at the Osceola County Welcome Center

and History Museum. It's free and informative and does a nice job of presenting the different habitats in the area as well as giving history of the city and county. It will help you know what you are looking at! You could spend about an hour if you take the time to read through the displays. Quite well done. And if you walk out the back/side down to the water you'll see an excellent example of a cypress swamp across the way and not even a quarter mile off the road! The history center is located across 192 from the kayak rental. This is the area of 192 just beyond Medieval Times as you travel west toward Downtown Kissimmee.

Would strongly recommend the Paddling Center. Suggest heading south. It's an easy paddle so would be a good intro for beginners - the water is relatively still.

I haven't done the hike you link to, but perhaps worth mentioning that The Disney Wilderness Preserve managed by The Nature Conservancy is also in that "neck of the woods". Also airboat rides.

Orlando, FL
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
17,753 posts
5. Re: Shingle Creek Regional Park and Kissimmee Lakefront Park??

*This is the area of 192 just beyond Medieval Times as you travel *east* toward Downtown Kissimmee.

You'll pass Medieval Times and a Walmart on your right. Turn left at that light to go up to Pioneer Village or continue straight past the mini golf and Steffee Homestead entrance will be on your right, then the creek, and then the Steffee Landing/Paddling Center/canoe/kayak rental entrance on your right. The Welcome Center is across the street on your left.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,937 posts
247 reviews
6. Re: Shingle Creek Regional Park and Kissimmee Lakefront Park??

1031Orlando

Orlando, FL

Thank you very much for all the information! Very helpful and useful. I like all of the suggestions and the weather forecast will probably determine which parks we go to. I think downtown Kissimmee looks interesting might check out Savions.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,937 posts
247 reviews
7. Re: Shingle Creek Regional Park and Kissimmee Lakefront Park??

Hi there, and thanks

1031Orlando

Orlando, FL

We went to the Steffee Landing that you recommended and we really liked it there had a nice walk, took some great photos. Lots of beautiful natural flowers. Really nice raised boardwalk to walk on. We had a great view of kayakers so we were a bit jealous. Saw a very large turtle happily swimming and drifting, I think it was the size of a small car tire. Plenty of lizards and a few birds including a hawk. We had our pic nic and then bad weather hit so we scooted. We were both very happy that we went there.

Orlando, FL
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
17,753 posts
8. Re: Shingle Creek Regional Park and Kissimmee Lakefront Park??

will have to rent a boat next time! but glad you enjoyed seeing the surroundings

Reply to: Shingle Creek Regional Park and Kissimmee Lakefront Park??
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted