We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's with the "resort" fees?

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,413 posts
250 reviews
Save Topic
What's with the "resort" fees?

I've been looking at multiple cheap/budget hotels and have been amazed to learn that they are tacking on "resort" fees.

I'm assuming this is some otherwise worded tax as the properties are a far cry from resorts-am I going to be paying to swim in the pool? Why don't they just adjust the room rate-I can't imagine that these "fees" do much to foster goodwill among their guests.

Finally, is the fee per room or per guest? I guess I could ask the "resort" (MOTEL) but thought I'd see who else has experienced this.

Okeydokey, thanks for letting me vent!

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
40,772 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What's with the "resort" fees?

There's hardly a motel or hotel in Kissimmee or Orlando for that matter that doesn't charge a resort fee of from $3 to $5 per day per room.

They always claim it's for phone use, in room safes, etc, but you get charged the fee wheather or not you use all these things.

It is usually a fee per room. It's been a standard practice in the Orlando/Kissimmee area for years, but I've rarely found it common practice anywhere else.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
205 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What's with the "resort" fees?

its really unfortunate i think that so many properties in orlando/kissimmee charge for amenities that are advertised as part of the hotel.

the reason they do it is that its pure profit and everyone else does it.

i found that you can argue the point at the front desk that you didnt use any of the amenities its supposed to cover and get it taken off in a lot of cases: free local/800 calls (arent they free anyway?), daily newspaper, towels by the pool.

Kissimmee Florida
Destination Expert
for Kissimmee
Level Contributor
3,536 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What's with the "resort" fees?

librarychick

It is important to distinguish between the "Resort Tax" and "Resort Fees". In Seminole, Polk, Lake, Volusia, Dade, Brevard, Broward, Hillsborough, Orange and Osceola counties among others there is a resort tax in the 4.5% to 5% range. This is essentially a sales tax on hotel rooms and it is a government levied tax. It pays for such "tourism related" activities as the Orlando Arena, the Silver Spurs Arena and the Orange County Convention Center. It also pays for those handy brochures you get when you ask the tourism office for information. (Which you should do wherever you travel.)

In addition to that, some facilities also levy a "resort fee' which may or may not be related to something real. Profesional meeting planners (as opposed to amateur ones) have fought these fees for a long time since they are always a surprise and never discussed until long after the negotiations are complete.

Check the bill to see which you are being charged. Resort taxes are a percentage of the room rate. Someone staying at the Ritz pays more than someone staying at the "No-Tell-Motel". Resort fees are anyone's guess.

CTR

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,413 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What's with the "resort" fees?

No, I understand the difference between the resort tax and the resort fee. In my town, the resort tax actually is divided up at the end of the year and given to local organizations and charities, which I thought was pretty neat.

My point is, nobody is telling these motels what their nightly rate has to be. So, instead of charging $35.10 a night plus a $2.50 "resort" fee-to use the Rodeway as an example, which no offense, would never be mistaken as a "resort"-why don't they just make their rate $37.60? Would still be dirt cheap, a good value and I'd be more inclined to stay because they're not charging a resort fee outright, even if it's hidden in the room cost.

Anyways, it's not a big deal-just piqued my curiousity because in all the places I've ever traveled, including other parts of Florida that were actual resorts, I've never encountered that before.

5. Re: What's with the "resort" fees?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 September 2009, 15:18
Get answers to your questions about Kissimmee