We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do you own at Oak Plantation?

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Do you own at Oak Plantation?

We are concerned that this resort has become very poor and that our maintenance fees have not been used to maintain what was once a very good (gold crown) resort. RCI has now suspended its relationship with the resort so we can no longer exchange. Have other members similar concerns and is there anything we can do? Does anyone have legal knowledge please?

augusta
3 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Do you own at Oak Plantation?

I got a call today telling me that we have to do something on the computer and it must me done asap. So we cannot exchange? I need to research this with a lawyer in Florida.

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do you own at Oak Plantation?

Hi Moveova - Not sure what the call was that you received. We have so far had a letter from Oak Plantation and, after chasing up RCI, have now had a letter from them confiming the suspension of their relationship. I'm based in the UK so getting legal advice on Florida laws is difficult. Any advice you are able to get and willing to share would be very much appreciated.

augusta
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Do you own at Oak Plantation?

Bikerdee I will keep you updated as I get info. Something sounds very strange about this whole situation.

Ocala, Florida
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Do you own at Oak Plantation?

This resort has filed bankruptcy and is imposing a special assessment to it's owners. They have to pay $600 for an annual contract and $300 for a biennial contract. This is a one time assessment (extra) that has to be paid by June 1, 2013. It was explained that this is to get caught up on taxes and because a large number of owners have not paid their fees.

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do you own at Oak Plantation?

We've received the letter and are not at all happy about this extra fee. It's more than the annual maintenance which will be due again at the end of the year.If anyone with US legal knowledge can tell us if they can do this then we'd love to hear from you.

Sebastian, Florida
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Do you own at Oak Plantation?

All owners, please go to Facebook the Oak Plantation Owners page. There you will find liked minded, angry people ready to legally take these criminals down.

Falkirk, United...
Level Contributor
2,201 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do you own at Oak Plantation?

We are not owners but we stayed here in 2009 and were so disappointed with the condition of the accommodation that we eventually (after days of negotiation with our travel rep) relocated to the Fairfield Inn near I Drive.

The unit was so shabby and smelly that we didn't hesitate in exchanging a two-bed condo for a standard hotel room (which was all that was on offer without additional expense) I can only imagine that Oak Plantation has continued to deteriorate since then - what a shame.

Kingsley
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do you own at Oak Plantation?

I will not pay this special assessment as I am on a fixed income and cannot afford it plus if you stop to figure it all out, These criminals have been making a ton of money from us! If you take your annual assessment (mine is $788 and multiply it by 52= $40,976. Now multiply that by the number of years you and I (17 years for me) have been doing this (minus the lower amounts of the prior years---to say an average of $650 x 52 = $33,800 times 17 years equals $574,000 per one bedroom unit!

Now this does not include what we all paid for the unit in the first place (and which we have no hopes of selling for any money to recoup some of the losses-- but --- our cost is Over a half of a Million Dollars to maintain one of the one bedroom apartment up over 17 years!!! These guys are either the worst at this or have been stealing us blind!

And now they want another $600 per week per unit to pay for those who didn't pay??? What do we get for that??? Nothing other than the embarrasment of being gullable and weak!

No---I will wait until they go under and lick my stupidity wounds that have kept me faithfully paying them for all of these years---

Edited: 25 June 2013, 16:13
Llanidloes, Wales
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do you own at Oak Plantation?

Go to the Oak Plantation Timeshare Owners page on Facebook. You will find many others with the same view. We are keeping one another up to date.

Kingsley
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Do you own at Oak Plantation?

I meant to put $706 for the annual maintenance which alters the yearly to $36,712 ---Sorry for the error but it has no bearing as to our expenses for being over a Half a Million Dollars for the 17 years I was using in this example---;-0

Edited: 26 June 2013, 20:10