We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Healthy eating in Kissimmee

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
38 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Healthy eating in Kissimmee

Hello,

We are staying at Legacy Dunes (on legacy blvd) in a few weeks. We are all healthy eaters who enjoy fresh seafood, local food, etc. I cook constantly at home and would like to take a break while on vacation--however, I don't want to be disappointed with an unhealthy meal. Can anyone suggest a great place to go for fresh seafood or just unique and interesting food that won't have as all feeling like slugs afterwards!

Or...a suggestion as to where to purchase good seafood to cook. Perhaps I will throw my apron on once or twice. : )

Thank you very much for your help.

Orlando, FL
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
17,525 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Healthy eating in Kissimmee

Here is a map with nearby restaurants. It features a different community, but is still applicable to your location

http://goo.gl/maps/TVqxe

Of them I would point out Sweet Tomatoes which is an excellent all-you-can-eat buffet with salad bar and homeade soups, Bonefish which is solid chain offering good seafood, and Bahama Breeze which is a popular choice among visitors. But really, you can make healthful choices at any restaurants. All of them for the most part have entree salads, multiple side choices, and with increasing popularity, low calorie or half portion options.

Publix is the main grocery store and has a seafood counter. While it will feature previously frozen items as well, they do usually have fresh catfish and salmon among other things. We're in the middle of the state so seafood actually isn't as abundantly available as people think it is. I mean it's here, but, unlike an hour or two drive to the coast where you can get fresh seafood off the boat at reasonable prices, it typically comes at a premium at restaurants in the Orlando area. We make at home and wait for our beach excursions. Bonefish as said is a reliable reasonably priced choice. There are several "high end" restaurants with excellent seafood. The best local market would be Lombardi's seafood in Winter Park which will be a bit of a drive for you. Publix should suffice. Or Whole Foods.

Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
38 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Healthy eating in Kissimmee

Thank you so much! Great advice. Will do a search for the whole foods..and we should be set. We are staying for two days in Ormond so will have our fill of seafood there hopefully!

Edited: 18 July 2013, 20:16
Mentioned in this post
Kissimmee Florida
Destination Expert
for Kissimmee
Level Contributor
3,551 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Healthy eating in Kissimmee

Travelbug,

I second the advice given above and would suggest that you take advantage of the opportunity to grill the fish outdoors. I believe Legacy Dunes has outdoor grills. IMHO nicely grilled salmon filet is a wonderful thing.

Take a look at Groupon and Restaurant.com for specials. Also, make sure you stop by a convenience store or visitor center to pick up one of the pamphlets with the tourist maps because they usually have restaurant coupons and saving money is always a good thing.

CTR

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
56,803 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Healthy eating in Kissimmee

Fresh and local can be a challenge in Kissimmee and the resort areas as it seems to be the chain food restaurant capital of the U.S.

Assuming you have a car, have far (how many minutes) are you willing to drive for fresh seafood and unique or interesting food that is healthy?

Mentioned in this post
Kissimmee
Kissimmee
Central Florida, FL
Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
38 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Healthy eating in Kissimmee

We have no problem driving for a decent meal if it is worth it. We are driving 20 plus hours to get to florida... a little jaunt in the car won't kill us.

: )

Edited: 19 July 2013, 20:46
Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
38 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Healthy eating in Kissimmee

Thank you very much CTR--will start browsing Groupon!

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
56,803 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Healthy eating in Kissimmee

Here are the restaurants I would research, Luma on Park, Cask & Larder, The Table, Yellow Dog Eats, K Restaurant, Seasons 52,Ceviche, Ember, The Ravenous Pig, 4 Rivers Smokehouse, Cityfish, The Rusty Spoon, Dexter's and Lee & Ricks Oyster Bar.

For Italian, Antonio's La Fiamma, Juliana's Fine Tuscan Cuisine and Anthony’s Coal Fired Pizza.

If you are looking for cheap eats and healthy there are Virgin Olive Market, Little Saigon, Pho 88, Bistro Europa Express, Greens & Grille and Eden's Fresh Co.

There are others, but start here and see what you think.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
38 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Healthy eating in Kissimmee

Thank you! Your suggestions are bang on--exactly what we are looking for.

I appreciate you taking the time to post!

Yarm on Tees, null...
Level Contributor
4 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Healthy eating in Kissimmee

mmm yes def agree with sweet tomatoes. just wish we had them in uk!!

Yarm on Tees, null...
Level Contributor
4 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Healthy eating in Kissimmee

we loved sweet tomatoes...wish we had them in uk !!