We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stone Crab - Florida (Near Disney)

Which Kissimmee hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wills Point, Texas...
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Topic
Stone Crab - Florida (Near Disney)

I will be in the Disney area mid December. Where is a good buffet or restaurant that has Stone Crabs? I used to go Apple Buffet off Semoran Blvd in Orlando, but they don't seem to be there anymore. Any suggestions?

Orlando, FL
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
16,786 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Stone Crab - Florida (Near Disney)

We get them from the seafood market in Winter Park, get them to crack them for us, and eat them at home. You eat them cold anyway. I've never noted them in a price or quantity I'm interested in at a local restaurant and have only ever done so at the coast points further south where they are more readily available. Expect a premium at a restaurant in Orlando and call first to see if they have them that particular day

Orlando
Level Contributor
9,457 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stone Crab - Florida (Near Disney)

Stone Crab on a buffet here? I wish you the best of luck. As suggested above, there is a seafood market in Winter Park. There is also one in Port Canaveral that is good. I'm not sure about the Stone Crab situation at either, and you may want to call first.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
45,825 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stone Crab - Florida (Near Disney)

No buffets will carry it as it is too expensive. I buy mine at Publix (and the mustard sauce to serve with).

Good local restaurants will serve it (try Fultons, Bonefish, Jonny's Hideaway in Crossroads SC) and it is best to eat cold, not hot.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
50,931 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stone Crab - Florida (Near Disney)

As others have said, high end places like those mentioned so far and I'll throw in Ocean Prime, FishBones, Big Fin and check Joe's Crab Shack, they have them on special sometimes.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
45,825 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stone Crab - Florida (Near Disney)

The problem this year, is that season has been poor again.

So high prices, less likely to be on offer. But I paid for them and ate them twice..

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
38,771 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stone Crab - Florida (Near Disney)

I'd definitely call ahead no matter where you plan to go- there is a shortage this year and our local Islamorada Fish , which always had them , is not offering them at all this year and several other places only have them sporadically or only till they run out each night. I have gotten them at Publix here as well and brought them home - it is the most cost effective way... but all you can eat on a buffet??- I'm thinking certainly not this year...

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
45,825 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stone Crab - Florida (Near Disney)

I checked daily at publix from the day I arrived (oct 25th) to the day before I left (nov 12th) and Publix didn't have them yet. Glad you found them

I only found them in a shop that had their own boats!

Pincher's Crab Shack (where I ate them first at their Stone Crab festival on nov2) had loads and they were large and beautiful. If you have to eat them out, and are near one of their locations, i'd rec them. I ate them in the sarasota/lakewood ranch one.

I agree with lulu, don't expect them everywhere this year, call your chosen restaurant before you head out.

8. Re: Stone Crab - Florida (Near Disney)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 November 2014, 05:16