We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lakeland vacation

Pennsylvania
2 posts
Save Topic
Lakeland vacation

My Husband and I are looking for a place to eventually move to in Florida (2 years maybe). We checked out the Gulf side and like it, but wanted to check out something Centrally located. Any ideas other than Lakeland? Looking at the map, we really don't see too much. Thanks

Midwest
Level Contributor
1,831 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lakeland vacation

I've heard the Ocala area is very nice. Open space, lakes, horse farms, and pastures. A bit of a change of seasons, too.

Lakeland, Fl
Level Contributor
178 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Lakeland vacation

What did you have in mind to be central to?

Are you looking for "City with Small town feel" or a "Small town" or ???

Pennsylvania
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Lakeland vacation

We were looking somewhere in between Tampa and Orlando.

Lakeland, Fl
Level Contributor
178 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Lakeland vacation

You can't get much more central that Polk County...I an a little partial since I live on the south side of Lakeland but there are a number of nice places here like Bartow, Winter Haven, Auburndale and many more. There's a lot online to help start your search and a short or extended trip to look around will help greatly.

A few sites to help the process...

www.polk-county.com/

[check out the list of cities & towns]

www.lakelandledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section…

[The Ledgers Guide to Polk County]

www.lakelandchamber.com/content2/

http://www.bartowchamber.com/

florida
Level Contributor
50 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Lakeland vacation

I think Lakeland would be a great choice. My daughter goes to college in Lakeland. she and friends often go to events in Tampa and Orlando. It's usually not more than a 30 min to an hour drive to either, depending on where in the city you want to be. Lakeland is big enough to have plenty of shopping and resturants. But has small town feel.

Lancaster, South...
Level Contributor
4 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lakeland vacation

You might want to look at Ormond beach north of Daytona although like Lakeland it is becoming a pile of fast food joint and a walmart. Looks like walmart is busy putting up a store every 5 miles in FLA to downscale the whole State.

Winter Park is also very nice (see Park Ave.) but housing is more costly.

Get answers to your questions about Lakeland
More Lakeland Topics