We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fun for family with teens?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
47 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Fun for family with teens?

We're headed to LBS for the first time in mid June :) We're staying at the Best Florida Hotel because it looks cozy. Can you clue me in on fun things for a family with 2 young teens? We definitely want to spend some time on the beach. Thanks!

Coast Boutique
Gift & Speciality Shops
Gold Coast Scuba
Scuba & Snorkeling
Beach Pavilion
Points of Interest & Landmarks, Piers & Boardwalks
Chicago
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
4,277 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fun for family with teens?

Our kids have always enjoyed our trips to the FLL - Pompano area. We have done everything from laid back weeks at the beach, shows and museums, sailing day trip to Key Largo, and an afternoon at the flea market.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
47 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fun for family with teens?

Thanks for your reply! We've made a few plans. I'll share in case anyone else is in a similar situation.

Besides the beach,

We're going to check out the street party on Saturday night on El Mar, I believe.

We plan to go fishing, from the pier maybe? We'll need to get fishing licenses

We're going to get ice cream at Kilwins.

Visit the Gumbo Limbo Nature center

Not real sure about restaurants yet. Since we're a family of four we'll be looking for good food at good prices.

We would love to rent a boat but it looks expensive.

My daughter wants to check out an art museum. My son loves good music. I'm an aviation enthusiast and my husband loves boats. Any suggestions are welcome.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
4,277 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fun for family with teens?

Consider Aruba's (right at the pier).

Umberto's for pretty good Italian.

Early bird at Seawatch is pretty good deal.

Carrie B riverboat tour can be fun.

Have a great trip.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
47,601 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fun for family with teens?

under 16's don't need a license in FL for fishing. you can get them from the bait shop

Fort Lauderdale, FL...
Level Contributor
1,658 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Fun for family with teens?

Have you looked at sunny.org? There is lots of great information there. I'm going to paste below something I cut from their website that your family may enjoy:

NATHAN SAWAYA: REPLAY

Through August 15, 2010

1650 Harrison St, Hollywood

Mon-Sat 10am-5pm; Sun 12-4pm

954-921-3274

Admission: $7 Adults; $4 Students, Seniors, and Children ages 4-13; Free for Center members and children under 4

The works of internationally renowned LEGO® artist, Nathan Sawaya, returns to the Art and Culture Center of Hollywood. For Replay, Sawaya's art, made entirely of LEGOs, will feature some recycled bricks. Watch your child's imagination at work in the Center's family-friendly student gallery where children will be able to interact with the colorful bricks.

Maybe your kids are too old for that but I have a 28 year old son that still gets a lego kit in his Christmas stocking, lol

For an economical tasty lunch you should try La Splada for hero's. I call them hero's but some call them hoagies or subs. I get the small and have to eat it over two sittings.

Friday's edition of the Sun-Sentinel the local paper usually has a 2 for 1 coupon for the Carrie B. Cruise in the Showtime section.

The local Chamber of Commerce in LBTS is very nice if you want to stop in and pick up some brochures. There are located about 2 1/2 blocks south of Commercial on A1A.

Fort Lauderdale, FL...
Level Contributor
1,658 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Fun for family with teens?

I forgot to say there is a street concert in Pelican Square on Friday nights too.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
47 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fun for family with teens?

Thanks so much for your helpful replies! I have compiled a list to take with me. when I get home I will definitely post some reviews!

8. Re: Fun for family with teens?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 December 2010, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Lauderdale by the Sea