We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Florida Resort or Tropicaire or Shore Haven?

Which Lauderdale by the Sea hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ottawa Canada
Level Contributor
1,505 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Best Florida Resort or Tropicaire or Shore Haven?

Lucky enough to be going back for a week - this time later Feb. rather than Jan. when vacancy and rates better. Although I enjoyed Tropic Seas it is now out of my price range as are others on El Mar.

The Best Florida Resort gets great reviews here and can get room at a reasonable rate. Given the Ocean Drive location wondering if traffic noise an issue = haven't seen any issues in that regard raised in reviews here? Tropicaire also gets good reviews and has affordable rates - on Bougainvillea so assuming quieter altho further walk to beach. Any thoughts on these. Shore Haven would also work - again on Ocean Drive, slightly more expensive.

I can't figure out Blue Seas as have never been able to get a reservation. Just before booking flight I was told by gentleman there was space and I said I would call back after making reservation. When I called back woman said she liked to hold out until Christmas before booking as she preferred two week bookings at that time of year. Have run into similar issues when researching previously for January stays and yet when I've walked by there is obviously plenty of vacancy . Less and less impressed by the rave reviews here.

Viersen, Germany
Level Contributor
109 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Florida Resort or Tropicaire or Shore Haven?

We stayed in Shore Haven in January two years ago. Well kept rooms and pool areas, friendly and helpful owners. Traffic noise was no issue at night.

Ottawa Canada
Level Contributor
1,505 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Florida Resort or Tropicaire or Shore Haven?

Thanks - based on recent good reviews have booked at The Tides on El Mar as like the location. Reviews in past weren't great so had avoided considering it. One of the 7 nights is free based on their online specials so the 145 for 6 nights in hotel room (and it has all I need for breakfast etc) is good for me.

Ottawa Canada
Level Contributor
1,505 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Florida Resort or Tropicaire or Shore Haven?

Meant to mention that Tides reviews fall under B and B section here for some reason. So when researching recommend including B and Bs as those listed not really different other than size from Hotels section. I did notice on Tides site they had AAA and Small Superior Lodging designations as well.

Chicago
Level Contributor
91 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Florida Resort or Tropicaire or Shore Haven?

If you are talking about the Tides Inn, we stay there quite a bit but there is no free breakfast. I have always seen the the great reviews for Best Florida Resort, but it is about 2 feet off A1A and it seems like it would be like camping on the shoulder of an expressway.

Ottawa Canada
Level Contributor
1,505 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Florida Resort or Tropicaire or Shore Haven?

Agree about A1A aka Ocean Drive - very busy altho from reviews here noise in rooms doesn't seem to be an issue. The no breakfast at Tides which is fine with me as every room has toaster, coffee maker etc. Still think it should be listed under Hotels. El Mar a quieter option than Ocean Drive was advice I got when I first posted on this forum 4 years ago and agree. It also has easier beach access.

Denton
Level Contributor
350 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Florida Resort or Tropicaire or Shore Haven?

We (2 senior ladies) stayed at Shore Haven over the MLK weekend in 2010. We loved it and did not notice any traffic noise. Here is an excerpt from my travelog that I wrote (and I also posted a review here on TA):

We stayed at the Shore Haven Inn, a wonderful family-owned motel a block from the (gorgeous) beach and center of town. Regular rate was $99, we negotiated an $89 rate and when we checked out, they gave us an addition $5 off per night . . . guess they liked us! We had room 137 in the unit closest to the office. There are two units, separated by a high hedge. They appear to be identical except that our pool was not heated and the other side was . . . and there is a heated jacuzzi. All rooms overlook the beautifully-landscaped pools/patio areas. There were also big gas grills available for guest use, umbrella tables, and plenty of lounge chairs. Coffee was always available in the office and microwaves were located near the icemachines. Our room was large and had two double beds, armoire w/TV, table/chair, long bench, two other chairs, coffee maker, small refrigerator, carpet, mirrors everywhere, bathroom w/tub and great shower, big sink, and the best lighting we have ever had. We had a/c which we didn’t use/need and a ceiling fan, which we did. Our room was an adjoing room. If you want to see where we stayed, look here: http://shorehaven.com/

If you are interested in the entire report, just email me at behrens@unt.edu. A lot of it would be pretty boring, but we did eat at some great places.

Good luck,

Sandy (in Denton)

Birkenhead, United...
Level Contributor
832 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Florida Resort or Tropicaire or Shore Haven?

Hi Avoca, let us know what the tides is like (and some pictures if possible would be nice) as it is one on my options for next year. Like yourself I stayed at the Tropic Seas before (and loved it) but it will all be down to how much money we have for our next holiday. Thanks

Ottawa Canada
Level Contributor
1,505 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Florida Resort or Tropicaire or Shore Haven?

I will post review after my Feb. stay.There are quite a few photos on their site. I won't have ocean view but right on beach. Re Tropic Seas - not sure when you plan to go but my experience is if Jan. rate can be negotiated with owner. Recommend email to reach him.

9. Re: Best Florida Resort or Tropicaire or Shore Haven?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 November 2012, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Lauderdale by the Sea
Recent Conversations