We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Street Lights Out Because of Sea Turtles

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
23 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Street Lights Out Because of Sea Turtles

Here's a travel tip for those staying in a hotel along El Mar--pack a flash light. For eight months of the year (March to the end of October) the town turns off all the street lights at night. It seems it's nesting season for the sea turtles and the little hatchlings tend to head toward the lights instead of crawling toward the ocean to swim away and start their lives. As a result, people taking an evening stroll along El Mar can't see where they're golng. Even the street lights in the parkette have black bags placed over them to prevent any light escaping toward the beach. We drove a rental car during our holiday. Driving along El Mar at night was a nightmare trying to avoid hitting pedestrians and skateboarders. You just couldn't see them. I wonder how many accidents have occurred because of this lights out policy? Eight months without street lights is really overdoing it, in my opinion.

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
10,897 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Street Lights Out Because of Sea Turtles

Perhaps if you knew more about the endangered turtles you might not think anything in their defense is "overdoing it". Humans are the reason they are endangered to begin with. Not sure the 8 months is accurate info.

Orlando
Level Contributor
9,863 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Street Lights Out Because of Sea Turtles

May-October (the nesting season) is not quite eight months if my math is correct. All of the condos in specific areas near the Melbourne beaches do the same thing trying to save an endangered species. The inside lights cannot be seen from the outside, and all the exterior lights on the condos are filtered, covered, and pointed straight down.

Sorry if trying to save an entire species inconvenienced you.

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
10,897 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Street Lights Out Because of Sea Turtles

Actually ALL of the Coastal Oceanfront East Coast (not sure of west coast) Florida towns, cities and

villages which host the nesting turtles on our beaches, have the "light pollution" ordinance in place to protect the nesting turtles and hatchlings. Not really a big deal to install lighting that allows us to co exist. Of course some Palm Beachers like Rush Limbaugh object and shine bright lights toward the Ocean anyway. They pay the fines.

Edited: 31 October 2013, 13:58
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
23 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Street Lights Out Because of Sea Turtles

There are plastic covered permanent signs attached to each light pole along El Mar stating that the nesting season runs from March to October--that's 8 months. Not sure if it is the same length of time in other areas along the Florida coastline. I love turtles too and have often stopped to rescue one that's trying to cross a busy roadway and diverting traffic around the turtle. People are important too. Let's have a balance is all I'm saying.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
23 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Street Lights Out Because of Sea Turtles

We've walked along the beach and seen turtle nests cordoned off so why

can't they put lights IN FRONT of the nests between them and the ocean?

I have personally come close to killing two pedestrians last week!!

(My husband wants to add his comments also).

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
10,897 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Street Lights Out Because of Sea Turtles

Really lights ON the beach between Turtle Nests and the Ocean? Now that would be a sight! It took decades to implement the system. I think it it troubles you this much you will be best to find another area of Fla to visit or limit your driving to daylight hours. Many towns have installed lights that point West (away from the beach) or are blacked out on the beach side and point downwards toward sidewalks.

Cape Town Central...
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Street Lights Out Because of Sea Turtles

I feel affection for turtles. I think Lights can light up the beach between Turtle Nests and the Ocean. It's not a big deal to install lighting. I'm excited to see the lightning beach in front of turtle nests.

Orlando
Level Contributor
9,863 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Street Lights Out Because of Sea Turtles

I hate to tell you Nestor, but they have these little things here called "tides" LOL.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
4,221 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Street Lights Out Because of Sea Turtles

Turtles are nesting now.. Thus the need for lights out. What's wrong with a flashlight when walking at night? Many towns have dark sky ordinances and you can actually see stars in the sky at night.

Maybe some need to learn to keep an open mind.

http://www.darksky.org/

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
179 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Street Lights Out Because of Sea Turtles

I suggest you stay in Toronto, then it wouldn't be an issue for you. "When in Rome" and all that.

Sorry Florida is such an inconvenience.

Get answers to your questions about Lauderdale by the Sea