We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Neptune

Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
The Neptune

Please advise...we are considering booking a unit at The Neptune on Longboat Key condos. I'm a bit confused about the location of this property and although it looks okay, I'd like to know more before we commit. We want to be as close to the beach as possible (a nice part of the beach) and we need pet friendly accommodations. Please help...we need to make a decision since our trip begins Mar. 17th. Thanks!

sarasota, FL
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Venice, Siesta Key
Level Contributor
10,858 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Neptune

Here is a website to see pictures of the units and location:

http://www.siestakeycondos.com/lbhome.htm

You would be across the street (Gulf of Mexico Drive) from the beach. This road is the only north/south artery on Longboat.

This condo is about the middle of Longboat near a shopping area.

You would be about 2 miles to St. Armands Circle.

~SRQgirl

Sarasota, Florida
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Longboat Key
Level Contributor
4,186 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Neptune

The beach all along Longboat (about 10 miles long) is very similar anywhere on the Key, just as good around the Neptune area as it is a bit further up or a bit further down. Neptune, though, is definitely one of the older properties. It would not have been my first choice, though with a pet and coming in mid-March your options are definitely limited. You may be lucky; perhaps your condo will be one that was recently re-done and is wonderful, but again it would not have been my choice.

Did you check out Coquina Beach on Lido Key or Turtle Beach on Siesta Key? Both accept pets and both are more attractive properties.

Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Neptune

By the time I received your post, we had booked. Could you be more specific about your concerns? We are looking for quiet and clean with reasonable proximity to the beach. We do not require luxury. Bringing a fat dog definitely limited our options.

Sarasota, Florida
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,186 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Neptune

I didn't mean to alarm you; sorry! In terms of reasonable proximity to the beach, you'll definitely have that -- it's across the street (though the street -- Gulf of Mexico Drive -- will be somewhat busy at this time of year). And the beach itself is a good one.

Incidentally, dogs are not allowed on the beach on Longboat. If you want to treat your dog to a swim, the nearest dog beach is on the way out to Longboat, just over the big bridge and opposite the entrance to Bird Key. And as long as I'm on the subject of dogs, there's a great park not too far away where you'll enjoy walking with your dog, lots of paths and pretty views; it's called Durante Park. Probably about 2 to 3 miles further up Longboat from where you'll be. If your dog is not that energetic, he'll enjoy walking back around by the library and postoffice area (very near you). And, of course, your dog will want you to take him to Wet Noses on St. Armand's Circle where he can pick out a dog toy and get you to buy him some dog cookies.

The Neptune also has good proximity to a small shopping center, within walking distance, and that's a real plus -- not a negative.

So what bothered me about Neptune? First, you should know that I have never stayed there so my comments are based on external observations only. But I've been coming to Longboat for thirty years and now live nearby, and have driven past Neptune many, many times. One issue for me is that it is not ON the beach, thus you can't really see the water (I'm spoiled; if I go to the beach I want to be ON the beach). Also, Neptune fronts on the busy road and that could be a bit noisy at times; most places on the beach have the surf to drown out road noise. It shouldn't bother you late at night; this is a residential area with visitors that are mostly older, but you'll probably still be aware of a pretty steady stream of traffic in the early morning and early evenings. Also, while there used to be some wonderful woods behind Neptune, that area has been sold and some new houses are being built in there; I don't know how visible this will be from Neptune, but I would imaging you may hear some construction noise. And finally, the age of the facility. It looked old even when we were visiting Longboat in the 1970's, and the outside still looks very "dated".

So there are the negatives that went through my mind. Balance that by the fact that you are indeed close to the beach. You are close to the shopping center. You're on Longboat at a prime time. The weather should be glorious. And several web comments indicate that units have been "recently renovated" so that suggests that the inside may be fresh. You may have found yourself a diamond in the rough! It won't be luxury, but it may very well turn out to be just perfect. I'd keep the reservation and anticipate having a great vacation.

And after you get here, or when you return home, please post a note and let us all know your own thoughts on the Neptune! You'll be the inside expert!

If you have other questions about restaurants, activities, etc. in the area, feel free to post them as well.

Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Neptune

Thank you so much for the info. I will review after our trip. We are taking in a couple of baseball games, one at Legends field and one in Sarasota. Are we within an hour or so of Legends?

Sarasota, Florida
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,186 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Neptune

Good for you! Spring training games are a lot of fun.

The Sarasota stadium -- Ed Smith Field -- is a wonderful old-timey kind of ballpark seating maybe 7,000 people and probably 30 minutes drive (max.) from the Neptune. (Unfortunately there are plans afoot to make it fancier and nicer and -imho- in the process lose it's appeal. But for now, it is a wonderful place to see a ballgame, eat a brat and drink a beer, get some autographs, pick up a tan, etc., and still pay relatively little for a ticket and to park).

As for Legends, from the Neptune you're probably talking about 2 hours to get there; a lot depends on the traffic on Fruitville Road getting out to I-75 (maybe 30 minutes, tops) and then on I-75 up to Legends, with some traffic around Tampa. Perhaps you could make a day of it, leave early and stop off in St. Pete on the way? Or stop off in Ybor City (Cuban heritage) and grab an early lunch at Columbia Restaurant?

MA
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: The Neptune

Does anyone know the address of Neptune, thinking about renting...Is it near LaPlaya? I am looking for a place to stay around LaPlaya..Thanks

8. Re: The Neptune

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2009, 14:18
Get answers to your questions about Longboat Key