We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need advice on family resort or condo

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
151 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Need advice on family resort or condo

Hi,

We are planning a trip to the area in March with our 3 kids (5,7,13) and are trying to find a nice condo or hotel with the right set up. We would like to have a kitchen and have 2 bedrooms if possible. We are also looking to be right on the beach and be within walking distance to restaurants (a nice pool would be a plus too). We are looking to spend under $300 per night or around $2,000 for the week. We stayed at Palm Bay Club about 4 years ago, and it was an amazing beach, but at the time there didn't seem to be any restaurants close by. We are open to renting a timeshare as well. Thank you!

Sarasota, Florida
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Longboat Key
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need advice on family resort or condo

Longboat Key Club would be a terrific spot, but it might be out the budget range during March; it has fantastic amenities and on-site dining, plus access to several nearby restaurants. I can think of a number of other places that are right on the beach, all with pools (that's pretty much mandatory) but being within walking distance of restaurants is a bit limiting (if you're willing to drive half-mile or a couple of miles then that opens up some possibilities). La Playa is a nice spot in a good area; Veranda Beach Club also. I like Sea Club III. Turtle Crawl Inn works well for some people, and Little Gull Cottages are also well-recommended. But, again, you won't find a bunch of restaurants right next door. Another option might be to look at Anna Maria Island which might offer something like that.

Toronto
Level Contributor
159 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Need advice on family resort or condo

I'll second the Longboat Key Club, if you can swing it. I took my family (5 kids) there last July and it was excellent in every way. i wouldn't eat or drink there (very expensive), but otherwise a great place. Good luck.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
151 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need advice on family resort or condo

Thanks so much for the information. Longboat Key Club was pretty pricey during that time. I found one at the Sea Club 3....is that within walking distance of restaurants?

Sarasota, Florida
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need advice on family resort or condo

Sea Club III would be terrific. There are several restaurants within walking distance of Sea Club III. I believe that Sea Club III is around 5600 Gulf of Mexico Drive; close by are Centre Shops (5400 G.O.M. Dr.) and there you will find Lazy Lobster, Blue Dolphin and another restaurant. In the other direction you'll find Harry's Continental Kitchen and an italian restaurant; Harry's Deli also has great dishes that are pre-prepared that you can take back to your condo to cook.

The building is quite far back from the road so there is very little, if any, road noise; you'll have a great sense of being on the beach with a lot of privacy. The pool is on the smallish size, but since there are only 8 units in the complex you'll likely have the pool to yourself whenever you like.

Incidentally you're also close to Backyard Bike Shop, a great place to rent bikes for exploring the island. (They don't take credit cards; it's cash or check only).

Level Contributor
57 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need advice on family resort or condo

Check out Sand Cay Beach Resort. Condos right on the beach, plus a pool, grills, and shuffleboard and nice lawn area for kids to play. You can see photos of each condo online, some more updated than others with differing prices depending on location within complex. The Hilton is right next door so we walked over a couple of times to their casual beach restaurant. We greatly enjoyed our stay the year before last.

Sarasota, Florida
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need advice on family resort or condo

Nice to hear your positive comments about Sand Cay after several negative reports on the place this year. One caution for would-be renters: relatively few of the units directly face the Gulf, and there's a little bit of a walk to get to the beach. If a beach view is important to you, be sure to check the location carefully.

kentucky
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Need advice on family resort or condo

Planning similar trip. would like to hear how your vacation ended.

Amelia Island...
Level Contributor
5 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need advice on family resort or condo

veranda beach club is a nice place with shopping plaza across the street. I have a beachfront unit I am looking to rent in september, week 38, look at the website and let me no if this would be something your needing.

9. Re: Need advice on family resort or condo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 14:16