We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fresh fish - variety and source?

Which Longboat Key hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Western PA
Level Contributor
723 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Fresh fish - variety and source?

We'll be visiting friends who are renting a house in the Bay Isles area the second half of May. We enjoy cooking, and are looking forward to some fresh seafood. What can we expect to find during that period? Where is a good place to buy fresh seafood? We're willing to drive a bit if needed, although there is a Publix close by.

Thanks,

T2E :-)

Newport, Rhode...
Level Contributor
663 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Fresh fish - variety and source?

Just a few minutes from LBK

is the fishing village of Cortez,

there are 2 major seafood

providers there, AP Bell

Fish Market and Star Fish

Market, they have all that

you need.

Western PA
Level Contributor
723 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fresh fish - variety and source?

Thanks. Cortez looks like the place to go. As for varieties - It looks like grouper and snapper will be our best bet for fresh fish, and shrimp / oysters / scallops are also available. Any corrections / additions to the availability for late May?

T2E :-)

Sarasota, Florida
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Longboat Key
Level Contributor
4,178 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fresh fish - variety and source?

Though Publix is decent, Cortez is definitely the place to go for fresh fish. Another place, if you happen to be near the airport, is Capt. Brian's on 41.

There are some restrictions on catching snapper and certain varieties of grouper right now, both in Federal waters (9+ miles offshore) and in State waters, so sometimes the availability of grouper and snapper can be limited. If you want to do any fishing yourself, you ought to check out the State website www.myfwc.com/fishing/regulations.

Western PA
Level Contributor
723 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fresh fish - variety and source?

Thanks for the adds, cbchrc. I will add Captain Brian's to the list.

The fishing regs appear to have moved - here's a new link

www.myfwc.com/fishing/saltwater/regulations/

Licking my chops, T2E :-)

Sarasota, Florida
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Longboat Key
Level Contributor
4,178 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fresh fish - variety and source?

I doubt they moved; my typo, sorry!

6. Re: Fresh fish - variety and source?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2012, 12:17
Get answers to your questions about Longboat Key