We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

electronic tolls and rental car from Tampa to Longboat

Kansas
Level Contributor
162 posts
117 reviews
Save Topic
electronic tolls and rental car from Tampa to Longboat

When trying to reserve a rental car with Thrifty - the website says some places in Florida now allow electronic toll payment only. They want you to pay $6.99 a day for their pass24 program. If you do not pay it and encounter a toll which will not allow you to pay except electronically - you will be charged a $25 adminstrative fee per toll.

I am renting the car in Tampa and planning to drive to Longboat Key and then be in a condo there for a week and do a little sight seeing but mostly hang by the beach. Does anyone know if this area has electronic only tolls roads? Mapquest shows I275 is partial toll but I don't know if it is electronic only.

Any help is appreciated.

essen, germany
Destination Expert
for Walt Disney World, Anna Maria Island, Orlando
Level Contributor
3,983 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: electronic tolls and rental car from Tampa to Longboat

Don´t worry...

Take I275 south and go towards Bradenton...

The Sunshine Skyway still offers cash payments.

Take the first exit after the bridge and go through Palmetto.

After the Manatee River go right towards Gulf Beaches (9 Miles).

On Anna Maria Island make a left on East Bay Drive and go South until you get onto Longboat Key!

You don´t need the electronic payment!

Sarasota, Florida
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Longboat Key
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: electronic tolls and rental car from Tampa to Longboat

Floridianer is correct. The Sunshine Skyway bridge (I-275) is the only toll you'll encounter. Half of the lanes there will have someone available to take your cash ($1.00). The Thrifty pass24 program seems like a ripoff to me if it charges $6.99 per day. If you were going to be in Florida for a long time and frequently cruising the Florida Turnpike, Alligator Alley, Selmon Parkway, etc., I'd simply stop first at a local Publix (grocery) or CVS (drugstore) and buy a SunPass for $4.99 and put $10 into the SunPass account. That would more than cover you for any tolls you'd pass through.

Again, though, no need to worry if you're just coming down I-275 to Longboat.

Incidentally, if you're staying at the North end of Longboat, Floridianer's directions are right. If you're staying in the middle or South end, though, I'd stay on I-75 until exit 210 (Fruitville Road), then go through St. Armands and onto Longboat.

3. Re: electronic tolls and rental car from Tampa to Longboat

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2012, 06:18