We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do I need a Pass24 to go between Miami Airport & Key West?

Which Longboat Key hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Edmonds, Washington
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Do I need a Pass24 to go between Miami Airport & Key West?

We are renting a car from the Airport, going to Key Largo the first day. The next few days, we'll be driving to Everglades National Park--Flamingo in the South, Shark Valley in the North; Biscayne National Park and Key West. Do I need a Pass24? or does anyone recommend getting a Pass24 for this trip? Thank you in advance for any suggestion.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,545 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Do I need a Pass24 to go between Miami Airport & Key West?

In Florida it is called a SunPass. Most rental car companies have an automatic toll paying feature for which they charge an admin fee plus the tolls. Depending on the car rental company you go with, that admin fee could be downright outrageous. Read this website to see what they charge:

www.sunpass.com/rentalcar

Sarasota, Florida
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Longboat Key
Level Contributor
4,179 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do I need a Pass24 to go between Miami Airport & Key West?

You might want to post your question on the Miami or Key West forums. Between Longboat Key and Miami you do not need a SunPass though you could, if you choose, use it in a fast lane on Alligator Alley.

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
4,635 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do I need a Pass24 to go between Miami Airport & Key West?

It's recommended that you use the Turnpike from Miami (west of the airport) to Florida City where you join US1 to the Keys. That stretch of the Turnpike has cashless tolls for which you need some form of toll program.

Either use the rental car firms program or set up your own account (buy a sunpass or use the toll by plate scheme) and register the rental car to your account for the duration of your rental. As mentioned, some car rental firms, including Dollar, will charge around $36 per week even if you only drive toll roads one day. Others only charge around $2.50 on days you pass a toll.

You should not need any toll program for the park locations mentioned (use Krome Ave 997 from Homestead to join the 41 to go to Shark Valley).

I'm not sure if you are going to Longboat Key at all? If so, from the Keys I would use the 41 and join the I75 at Naples, or before Naples via the 29 from Carnestown.

You may need to the toll program again if returning to MIA via the Turnpike.

4. Re: Do I need a Pass24 to go between Miami Airport & Key West?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 21:16
Get answers to your questions about Longboat Key