We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Longboat Key FL or Venice FL?

Which Longboat Key hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Northern Burbs of...
Level Contributor
211 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Longboat Key FL or Venice FL?

I am planning on heading to FL area in September to celebrate my 40th birthday. I am thinking of staying a few nights in either Longboat Key or Venice then from there I am heading to Siesta Key FL area which I love and then 1 night in Treasure Island (Never been there) My question is I receive great employee rates at hotels since I am in hospitality and I can receive a great rate in Venice that includes breakfast. Is Longboat Key really worth checking out? Is it an expensive area? I do receive a special rate at 1 of the hotels there but it doesn't include breakfast. With Venice I wanted to hang at Sharky's I wasn't able to do that on my last trip. It just looks fun and good for this bday celebration.

Last year I also visited Marco Island for a wedding and loved Naples/Marco Island area but mainly for the food...lol love Siesta Key for the beautiful beach, nice pool at the Hyatt in Sarasota, and great food in Siesta Key area. I love really nice pools. A pool similar to the pool at the Marriott in Marco Island. I do like a nice beach too but not with alot of shells.

Let me know what you think. Or should I consider any other areas near this area? It's pricy to stay in Treasure Island so I haven't been able to find too many deals there. IF I staying St Petes I can but some reviews seem mixed about that area. With Treasure Island I want to get there to go to some of their tiki bars. It seems like a neat area. Should I stay in that are more than 1 night?

sarasota, FL
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Venice, Siesta Key
Level Contributor
10,495 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Longboat Key FL or Venice FL?

I would suggest Siesta Key vs. Longboat but that is not an option if you are looking for discounts. Hyatt Siesta Key Beach Resort is fabulous, but pricey.

No shells on the beach.

No, the Holiday Inn is not the Ritz...it's a Holiday Inn...but..great location.

The Hilton on Longboat is fine and if not having things in walking distance is not an issue, go for it..You can drive to Anna Maria Island or south to St. Armands and downtown Sarasota.

I guess I'm not quite sure exactly what you want. If it's sitting by the pool with drinks then go with a full service hotel.

September is before high season, so things haven't hit their high rates. Restaurants etc are less crowded.

St. Armands has expensive and less expensive place to eat..

Longboat has many fine dining places. It also has Mar Vista and more casual spots. For a 40 year old, you might be bored on Longboat in September. Not sure what you want as far as nightlife.

There is also a nice pool at the Ritz downtown and their Beach Club.

~SRQgirl

Northern Burbs of...
Level Contributor
211 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Longboat Key FL or Venice FL?

Geez sorry my mistake about Amelia Island. I will see if I can get a deal at Holiday Inn Lido Beach. Sounds like the location is ideal. So now some other forums are telling me it rains alot in September. I checked the weather last year it was fine but I know that was last year. If it rains that much then I will think of another destination to celebrate. What are your thoughts about the rain in FL in September? I know it's prime hurricane season then so maybe I should re-think this. Ughhhhhhhhhhhh

Northern Burbs of...
Level Contributor
211 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Longboat Key FL or Venice FL?

Anna Marie Island looks wonderful. Which place do you recommend to stay there?

sarasota, FL
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Venice, Siesta Key
Level Contributor
10,495 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Longboat Key FL or Venice FL?

You can post on the Anna Maria island forum and get some great experts to give you advice..tell them what you want to spend per night etc.

There are no major hotel chains on AMI...none...it is very charming..no high rises etc. Great place to stay.

I can't predict if it will rain in September..no one can..during hurricane season it usually rains in late afternoon..

~SRQgirl

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
46,272 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Longboat Key FL or Venice FL?

no chains so no FF discounts.

but for a couple i'd start looking at Harrington House. but local experts might find you a gem at a lower price?

AS for september it rains a lot along all of FL and all of the gulf coast- never can tell this far in advance if a storm will come along. It is the rainy season though, with at least PM thrunderstorms (along with t he rest of summer) a daily occurance.

16. Re: Longboat Key FL or Venice FL?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 05:16