We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

longboat key or siesta key

ca
Level Contributor
117 posts
Save Topic
longboat key or siesta key

which is better for family? less busy? safer for children? convenient to dining, shopping, etc.? activities for children?

ca
Level Contributor
117 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: longboat key or siesta key

also, how's cedars tennis resort? is it near a nice stretch of beach?

Sarasota, Florida
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Longboat Key
Level Contributor
4,186 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: longboat key or siesta key

How old are your kids? That could influence your decision. If quite young, I'd suggest Longboat -- much quieter, less crowded, and with a great bike path; if teens, they'd be happiest on Siesta. Two other options for you, though: Anna Maria Island is known as an old-time Florida family isle; you might want to post on that forum as well. Anna Maria has a free trolley that is fun to take to get you around that island. Also, Lido Key could be a good choice too, closest to St. Armands with its 130+ shops and restaurants and also closest to places like Mote Aquarium, Jungle Gardens, GWiz science museum, etc. Also some great (and safe) kayaking on Lido Key.

As for Cedars, it's across the road from the beach. The beach is the same all along Longboat, generally not at all crowded and also with a gentle slope into the water.

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
Lido Key
Lido Key
Sarasota, FL
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
8 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: longboat key or siesta key

Hi i am wondering the same thing, but we are a couple in our 50s, looking for quiet, yet close enough to good restaurants and able to visit Sarasota. We are looking to rent a condo for a week later this summer. Hesitating between, Longboat key (which i think i prefer), Anna Maria Island or Siesta key. Any advice appreciated!

Mentioned in this post
Sarasota
Sarasota
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Sarasota, Florida
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Longboat Key
Level Contributor
4,186 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: longboat key or siesta key

I think you'd much prefer Longboat. It meets your definition of quiet, there are some outstanding restaurants, and it's closer to Sarasota activities than either Anna Maria or Siesta. As a starter, for restaurants take a look at the online menus of Harry's Continental Kitchen, Euphemia Haye and Pattigeorge's. Longboat also gives you a wonderful long bike trail, tennis courts and, if you're staying at the Longboat Key Club, two golf courses. Yet it's quiet and uncrowded, especially at the time you're planning to come.

Do you have a budget in mind? The LBK Club is wonderful though pricey, but there are many other condo opportunities as well. Veranda Beach Club is one. Sea Club III (offered by Wagner Rentals) is another.

Mentioned in this post
Sarasota
Sarasota
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Euphemia Haye Restaurant
Euphemia Haye Restaurant
617 Reviews
Longboat Key, FL
Veranda Beach Club
Veranda Beach Club
46 Reviews
Longboat Key, FL
5. Re: longboat key or siesta key

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 July 2013, 23:45