We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First impressions

Fort Mitchell...
Level Contributor
735 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
First impressions

Just arrived this afternoon and within an hour had a manatee swim next to us, what a fantastic experience. Beach is beautiful and water is really warm. Waiting for our table at Dry Dock and enjoying the bay.

Peace

Fort Mitchell...
Level Contributor
735 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First impressions

Dry dock was fantastic. Service and quality, hope others stops can match the experience.

Publix was a treat. Other grocery stores should take lessons from their customer service training. Can't wait to eat the mango-key lime pie.

The sunset was simple and beautiful.

Looking forward too tomorrow.

Peace

Fort Mitchell...
Level Contributor
735 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First impressions

Beautiful day at the beach. Breeze is blowing, cold margarita and jamming to last nights Phish show. Doesn't get any better!!

Sun is shining!

Peace

Sarasota, Florida
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Longboat Key
Level Contributor
4,185 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First impressions

Sounds like you're having a great time! Keep your posts coming and let us know what else you're seeing, doing and enjoying. Whereabouts on the Key are you staying? Like it there?

Sarasota, Florida
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,185 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First impressions

By the way, if you get homesick for Cincinnati, Publix carries Skyline Chili and Graeter's Ice Cream (though I'm not sure how well double chocolate chip goes with the Key Lime pie).

Fort Mitchell...
Level Contributor
735 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First impressions

A fabulous day lounging on the beach. The family chose to just relax. Breakfast and lunch at the condo.

Took a drive north up to the tip of Anna Maria to get our bearing straight. Ending up eating at Mr. Bones BBQ. Cool little place, place was busy but service was fast. Wife's chicken was really good, kids ribs were tasty and filling. Vege rice not bad. Wasn't really pleased w my BBQ beef sandwich. Tasted store bought. Stopped and had ice cream at Joe's. Fun little place but we are spoiled w Graeters. Took a little drive around Holmes beach and found a few places to try this week. We could see that the sunset was setting up to be wonderful. We were not let down. WOW.

We are enjoying our stay. Going to try The Feast for dinner tomorrow night.

Weather has been pleasant. Surprised how nice the breeze has been on the beach. Quick little spotty rains that in no way ruin the day.

Condo with a view and screened patio has its benefits. Candle light, nice cocktail and the sound of the waves is a great way to end the day.

I do wish longboat had a nice little beach bar.

Peace

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
47,899 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First impressions

keep em coming.

and yes, beach bars are surprisingly infrequent in most of Florida. Lido and Anna Maria have them, SK doens't.

Fort Mitchell...
Level Contributor
735 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First impressions

Happy Monday! Woke up to more beautiful sunshine and wonderful colors of the gulf water.

Decided to start the day the way I finished yesterday less the candle. Ha

Set up on the beach and ready for a casual first part of the day. Some nice reggae music, comfortable breeze, choppy waves and some sunshine. Hard to believe that I can only see approx. 100 people in both directions. We are situated nearly center of the Key.

Girls want to go shopping so I guess Siesta it is. Later afternoon for strolling and happy hour.

Peace

Fort Mitchell...
Level Contributor
735 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First impressions

The waves have been fun to float around in today. Sun has done nothing but shine. Much needed shade to enjoy the continual breeze. Going to St. Armand's circle to let the girls enjoy some shopping. Wife and I will try Cha Cha Coconuts for happy hour. Then back for hopefully another glorious sunset.

What to do later? Bridge street?

Peace

Sarasota, Florida
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,185 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First impressions

Actually 100 people sounds crowded for Longboat; come visit in May or November and you'll be lucky to see only 15 or 20.

Time for some exercise yet? Have you tried kayaking through the mangrove tunnels on Lido Key? Great fun, though I have to admit that some reggae music, splashing in the waves, a visit to cha-chas, watching the sun go down makes for a pretty decent day already.

Fort Mitchell...
Level Contributor
735 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First impressions

And decent it was! Another very colorful sunset. Truly remind me of the Caribbean.

St. Armand's circle has something for everybody. Had a couple of drinks at Cha Chas. prices were fair and the french fries were good.

Ended up having dinner at the Bridge Tender Inn under the trees. Service was friendly and the ambiance was very perfect for our type of vacation. Mahi tacos and black bean soup for me, girls and wife had salads and fish. All delivered promptly. Took a walk out on the pier and chatted with a boat captain. Wonderful hospitality while watching 4 dolphin play around the sail boats. Life is terrible??

We have found nothing but friendliness at all our stops. We still can't get over the customer service at the Publix. Had to go back and get the key lime pie today. Think now that sun has set we should enjoy a piece.

Peace