We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Would anyone advise going in August? First time M.I. travel

New Jersey
1 post
Save Topic
Would anyone advise going in August? First time M.I. travel

Hi we're thinking about going to Marco Island for the first time with a 11 and 9 year old, How is the weather mid August? Rain??

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Sherri

Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
1,872 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Would anyone advise going in August? First time M.I. travel

We've been to Marco many times, but only once during August. The only problem with that time of year (and it turned out to be a huge one for us) is that it is hurricane season. We ended up running from "Charlie" in the middle of the night. We went from gorgeous clear blue sky to "get off the island now" in about 18 hours. We lost 3 days of our vacation. The only up side was the airline didn't charge us for the ticket changes because is was hurricane related.

Marco itself in August is great. It's the "off season" and not very crowded. We loved it. You can walk in to the most popular restaurants and are seated immediately without reservations. Almost felt like we had the beach to ourselves at times. It is very hot and humid, but it's southern florida in the summer so that should be a no brainer. It's a great place for a vacation and you'll love it no matter when you go.

Marco Island,FL
Destination Expert
for Marco Island
Level Contributor
573 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Would anyone advise going in August? First time M.I. travel

If you are traveling to the South Eastern or Texas areas of the US in late August through October, it would be wise to purchase trip interruption/cancellation insurance. If you are a younger adults, the costs aren't very high. It goes up for senior citizens, the rates go up because it also protects you if you have to cancel the trip because of medical reasons.

The best place I've found to shop is

http://InsureMyTrip.com

Randy

Naples
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Would anyone advise going in August? First time M.I. travel

I've been here for 22 years...my whole life actually and Aug. is a real hit or miss month. Last year it was nice but you never really know. The prices will be much cheaper but you are risking a rainy vacation.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,911 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Would anyone advise going in August? First time M.I. travel

Check the insider pages for a writeup about the weather.

It will be *hot* -- highs in the upper 90s, with low in the low 80s. It will also be dripping humid -- 90% or more. I've lived here for 25 years, so obviously I don't mind it, but it can be a shock if you're not used to it.

Make sure you stay slathered in sunscreen, wear a hat, and *stay hydrated* -- you'll dehydrate in far less time than you think. Non-caffeinated drinks, please -- caffeine furthers the dehydration.

It will likely rain for an hour or so every afternoon - -but it's a good chance to go in, have a shower and a snooze until it clears off -- then you'll have a pleasant evening.

The prior poster is right -- you'll have very few crowds, and lower prices...and cancellation insurance is a good idea. It's still hurricane season (September is our most active month, but August can be busy!) -- most travel providers will work with you, but it's good to be prepared.

5. Re: Would anyone advise going in August? First time M.I. travel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2009, 04:15