We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is MARCO ISLAND as beautiful they say!!!!!!!

Which Marco Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Michigan, USA
Level Contributor
14 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Is MARCO ISLAND as beautiful they say!!!!!!!

I keep hearing that Marco Island is the next best thing to the Caribbean.If there is anyone with info about Marco Island and how it compares to the other Florida Gulf Coast Hot Spots or the Caribbean please let me know.

Kansas City, MO
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is MARCO ISLAND as beautiful they say!!!!!!!

Lots and lots of construction going on right now at Marco. The beach is pretty and the water relatively clear, depending on the day and weather. Very clean.

That being said, be prepared for roads being torn up everywhere, pricey restaurants and not much to do but play on the beach.

Basically a high rent district for snowbirds.

Stayed for 2 weeks last summer. This summer while staying at Ft Myers Beach, we drove back to Marco to revisit our favorite restaurant (Arturo's), and were dismayed to find out how bad the construction was and how torn up the island was. We had stayed at the Hilton last summer and this year the

radisson next door is all but gone except for one tower Ugly!!. So it is now one big construction site, plus they have cranes all over the Hilton, replacing balcony doors, I believe.

New Haven...
Level Contributor
492 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is MARCO ISLAND as beautiful they say!!!!!!!

Just from the pictures, I really would love to exchange for something at THE EAGLES NEST, but NOTHING is ever available for exchange, ... certainly there is availability for a rental.. at 1500 to 2500 a week !

I had the illusion that when in this 'timeshare' thing, I would be able to go 'anywhere' ..LOL...in my dreams, I own 2 deeded beach front places, good thing,.....

Seems like NOBODY puts their beach front timeshare up for exchange,.. so I cannot risk putting mine up for exchange to have it scooped up, I'm stuck with nadda ... no beach front week?,,, not a chance !!

northeast
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Is MARCO ISLAND as beautiful they say!!!!!!!

The trouble with Marco Island is getting on a beach !!!

There are virtualyy no places to park unless you park at a hotel...with a fee....of course. So if your accomodations are not on the beach..................you are out of luck.

Tiger Tail Beach is ok & open to the public for reasonable parking fee..BUT you cannot see the Gulf because of a big grassy piece of land between the beach & the Gulf !!! Tiger Tail is County run.

There are 2 private beach accesses......Residents' Beach & another.which has no close parking & no facilities.

To go to these beaches you have to pay a membership fee $130 last year. But if you stay less than 2 months you cannot park there !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can just walk on.....................

The beach situation & availability to visitors is awful.

New Haven...
Level Contributor
492 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is MARCO ISLAND as beautiful they say!!!!!!!

WOW - the restrictive handling of public access to beach fronts down there sounds similar to the way people up here on long island sound in Connecticut have commandeered much of the ocean front that when you visit, you are almost always 'trespassing' on priv property..... are there a lot of North Eastern transplanters that have confiscated land there??...sounds like some familiar tactics are being used... wow... isolationists on Marco Island , terrible...

Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Marco Island
Level Contributor
1,206 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is MARCO ISLAND as beautiful they say!!!!!!!

We really love visiting Marco Island. We have been there during the busiest times--Spring Break, Holidays, etc. We have never had a problem parking at Tigertail beach or close by. Plus, you do not have to walk very far from where you park to enjoy the gulf. We think it is a great public access beach plus it has some great facilites.

The island is a bit of a mess right now. However, the roads will be cleaned up soon. Plus, new sewer lines are being put in the houses on Marco to keep the island in great condition. The Radisson is almost completely demolished. Some of the islanders have told us that this place needed to come down. They will be happy with any improvement made at the site.

The water is great--clear blue. In July we spent a week there shelling. It was superb. The water was so warm. My husband also parasailed (beach side office for this straight out from the Marriott). The experience according to him was amazing. We also fished. Another great experience.

We've been all over Florida and have spent time in the Carribean. We really like Marco Island.

Marco Island,FL
Destination Expert
for Marco Island
Level Contributor
564 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is MARCO ISLAND as beautiful they say!!!!!!!

Eput, What time of the year were you there?

Did you try South Marco Beach access point. It doesn't have the largest public parking lot, but there is a public lot and the beach is absolutely beautiful!

Randy

Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
1,872 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is MARCO ISLAND as beautiful they say!!!!!!!

Palmtree,

You don't say when you're planning on visiting or where. We've gone for years. Some years 3 or 4 times. It is as beautiful or more so than the Caribbean. The beaches are incredible. If you're looking for a really hot night life - not there. It's a very laid back, family oriented fun beach. It''s all about the beach and the water. There is no huge bar hop on the beach thing going on. There are only a couple of beach bars (in the big resorts) the rest is families on the beach strolling, playing and having a great timel. That's why we go. If you're into great beaches and a really good time for the family in and on the water - can't find any better. If you go, you'll be hooked! Enjoy!

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
841 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is MARCO ISLAND as beautiful they say!!!!!!!

Yes, it is in fact a beautifull beach. The island itself is very similar to a small caribbean island. The water is fairly clear and crystal blue with soft white sandy beaches and LOTS of sea shells. The island's best beaches are the resort beaches that line the gulf side. I strongly recommend Marco to anyone looking for a tropical beachside paradise vacation.

Glastonbury,CT
Level Contributor
302 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is MARCO ISLAND as beautiful they say!!!!!!!

We are thinking of making the trip from Maimi to Marco as a day trip. The main draw being SHELLING!

We are dropping our daughter off at UMIAMI and planned to stay in South Beach the next three nights but looking for something a little different to do while there.

Can someone give me the best shelling area or beach and confirm parking availability ( even for a fee)?

10. Re: Is MARCO ISLAND as beautiful they say!!!!!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2009, 15:16
Get answers to your questions about Marco Island