We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Marco Island the right choice and where to stay/

Which Marco Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Scotland, UK
Level Contributor
37 posts
141 reviews
Save Topic
Is Marco Island the right choice and where to stay/

Can anyone assist in helping us make up our minds?

We have been debating for the last couple of months where to go - everywhere from the new Starwoods resort at Singer Island, various places on Captiva Island to the marriott on Hutchinson Island. We've now reviewed this and decided, I think :-), on Marco Island. We will have a little over 10 days (in September) and don't want to split the holiday between two places but will have a car so can get about.

Our requirements are (i) relaxation in a hotel where service matters but nothing stuffy/formal and it must have easy beach access with beach facilities; (ii) some water based trips that don't require too much exercise; (iii) some shopping when bored with relaxing and (iv) good restaurants. Does this sound like Marco Island will fit the bill?

We will have a car and we expect the shopping and good restaurants to be in Naples - I understand the drive will take about 30 minutes or so - is this right? Does anyone have any recommendations for fresh fish restaurants nearer by that are within an easy walking distance?

In terms of hotel it seems to be either the Marco Beach resort or the Marriott. I like the idea of Marco Beach resort because of the kitchen in the room but it sounds as if its not 'as on the beach' as the Marriott is. But then the Marriott doesn't have a kitchen but perhaps the service is better and not as stuffy? I certainly wouldn't like 'rules' about what I could and couldn't wear for dinner so this is a negative for Marco Beach resort. I am a Marriott reward person so any impartial advice as to choice would be appreciated.

Lastly is the construction a problem (noise wise) when you are on the beach or at the pool?

Thanks in advance!

Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Marco Island
Level Contributor
1,242 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Marco Island the right choice and where to stay/

Cafe DeMarco--on Palm St.--great food--fresh fish/wine list

Marek's--Bald Eagle Drive--great food--fresh fish/wine list

Verdi's--Collier--never been there but many, many Marco Islanders have told us to go there. Maybe during our next trip.

Blue Heron--Isle of Capri--just a bit past the Jolley Bridge on the way to Naples--great foot--fresh fish/wine list

I cannot speak for the Marco Beach Resort since we have never stayed there. We recently stayed at the Marriott though. Our stay was wonderful. The atmosphere was very nice and not at all stuffy. It is just a short walk around the pool and you are on the beach. There is a nice beach-side restaurant where you can order a meal and/or beach drinks. Our room was a partial gulf view room. We sat out on it at night and the view was spectacular.

I cannot speak for any shopping on Marco. We usually go to Naples for the shopping. It is about a 30 minute car ride to Naples. There are great restaurants in Naples too. However, we haven't been to any in Naples in quite a while since we enjoy those on or close to Marco so much.

We didn't experience any construction noise during our stay at the Marriott in July --none while in our room nor any while at the beach.

Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
1,872 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Marco Island the right choice and where to stay/

Have gone to and loved the Marriott for years. For what you're looking for it is perfect. High end service and amenities, but casual atmosphere. If you have a car, you'll want to hit the Coach Outlet. You'll pass it going to the Island. The Marriott is high end, but nothing stufffy. A great time, the spa is incredible, the beach is not like anything you've ever seen. It's my favorite place (and I've been to a lot of beaches all over the world} The Marriott is where we always stay. The greatest beach! At the Marriott, every room has a refridgerater and coffee maker. What more could you want? Restaurants - within walking distance - Captain Brien's - incredible seafood, Cathy O'Clarke's (Irish Pub with great seafood specials and our kids' favorite pizza - go figure!) Quinn's is the beach bar/restaurant at the Marriott. We like it so much that for our daughters "Sweet Sixteen" birthday we ordered t-shirts from the bar for all of us to surprise her. She loved it!

We love the place and if you decide to go...beware - you will be hooked and never want to leave!

Scotland, UK
Level Contributor
37 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Marco Island the right choice and where to stay/

Many thanks. It sounds like this is the pleace to be. Just a further query about the rooms, is it only the south tower that has been renovated and the marriott website states that there are suites but when I check availability there is nothing (no matter what dates I put in!) are all the suites being renovated?

Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
1,872 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Marco Island the right choice and where to stay/

CALL THEM DIRECTLY> There are times where, on the internet, there'"nothing available", however if you call them directly, there are all kinds of rooms. Their customer service people will fall all over themselves to help you if you really want to stay there. Mention the fact that you're looking at the Marco Beach Resort when you're talking to them. They'll deal. You Go Girl!!!

5. Re: Is Marco Island the right choice and where to stay/

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2009, 09:21