We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are we so out of the loop?

Which Marco Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
1,872 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Are we so out of the loop?

We're counting the days, and are once again researching restaurants. Heard about Mel's. We've researched it, Googled it and ran it through the sticky, got nothing. Is it a rumor? Does it exist and has anybody been there? Is it any good? Would appreciate any info!

Naples, Fl
Level Contributor
641 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are we so out of the loop?

Mel's diner? I'm not sure that is what you are looking for but it is a small chain (about 10) in south Florida that serve "homecooked" food, it is not at all fine dining, the prices are very cheap and the food is hit or miss. I do not think there is one on Marco. Menu Guy may know.

LNG
Florida
Level Contributor
14 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are we so out of the loop?

No Mels but tell me what type of place you are looking for and I will try to give you some ideas. We are fulltime residents on the island.

Western NY
Destination Expert
for Marco Island
Level Contributor
1,207 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are we so out of the loop?

"Almost Famous Mel's Smokehouse" is a new restaurant located across from the former Radisson, per the Marco Review web site (www.marcoreview.com). Must be brand new. Looks like a full bar, restaurant and live music. Maybe it took over the site of a former place? Is Bimini's still there?

Marco Island,FL
Destination Expert
for Marco Island
Level Contributor
573 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are we so out of the loop?

It is the former Bimini's.....

Marco Island
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Are we so out of the loop?

It's a new restaurant "Almost Famous Mel's". They serve ribs and BBQ. Not bad food overall. Service could be a bit better though. Owner's name is Mel Slawic, a local resident on Marco Island. His wife owns Cathy O'Clarkes restaurant.

Western NY
Destination Expert
for Marco Island
Level Contributor
1,207 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Are we so out of the loop?

marcoguy - how is Cathy O'Clarke's? Haven't been back since we had such poor service the year it opened.

Marco Island
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Are we so out of the loop?

Cathy O'Clarke's? The food's not bad overall I'd say. I always thought it's a bit overpriced for what you get, but I do think they're ok, just don't go there a lot. The service has gotten better though.

Western NY
Destination Expert
for Marco Island
Level Contributor
1,207 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Are we so out of the loop?

Just to let you know...the Irish Macaroni & Cheese at Cathy O'Clarke's was FABULOUS! But overall, I'd recommend it for happy hour or watching the game with some appetizers and beers.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
2,192 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Are we so out of the loop?

We went to Cathy last year... all the waiting staff are so so young... we were eating our sweets and they started to sweep up yes sweep up around us... that did not go down well.. food was ok..

Interesting to hear about the re[lacement place for Bulini's ... sorry got hat wrong but you wkno what i mean.. that place was good when daughter was younger and we needed a little entertainment !!

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
1 post
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Are we so out of the loop?

We at there (the one on Marco) two nights ago. It was just ok. Well, actally my husband's brisket was almost all fat and he couldn't eat much of it. I had the pulled pork which was just ok. The best part was the mac and cheese and that actually tasted like Stouffers!