We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trip report Marco Island

Which Marco Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
milton, wi
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
trip report Marco Island

Hi: Just back from a week on Marco Island. Sorry to say I was very disappointed. It's a very overpriced area, in my opinion.

We have vacationed in Jamaica, Cozumel, Virigin Islands and Hawaii and I would say that Marco Island was the most disappointing.

Specifically--

Water clarity is zero. Water temperature is very cold.

We drove to the Keys one day hoping to find better beaches and water. John Pennecamp State Park was highly rated. BUT! --- in order to see anything in the water, you must rent a boat to go out 3-4 miles from shore.

If you are looking for a beach type vacation, I would definitely go elsewhere.

We took our 2 teenagers and were looking very hard to find anyone under 50 on the island.

We did drive up to Fort Myers and found lots more younger people in that area.

Driving is a disaster around the area. I-75 was backed up everyday we were there. I have never heard as many sirens as I did on this vacation.

Sorry to sound so negative, but there are so many wonderful places to vacation, I wouldn't encourage anyone that enjoys the ocean, snorkeling, watersports to go to Marco.

Please email me if you would like more specific information.

Joe

Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Marco Island
Level Contributor
1,242 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: trip report Marco Island

We also just returned from 9 days on Marco Island. I have two teenagers and a 10 year old. I will agree that if you want to snorkel, Marco Island is NOT the place to go. I do not think, though, that Marco Island has ever been considered a snorkeling destination. HOWEVER, we LOVE Marco Island.

Our children spent two days on jet skis. My husband and I also went along. Our time spent on the jet skis was wonderful. We also went to a secluded island while on the jet ski tour and found great shells.

We also went shelling each day on the Marco Island beaches. I do not like cold water. While shelling I went in the ocean each day without a problem. We managed to find many nice shells. The beaches are not overcrowded.

My teenagers spent time fishing each day. They caught fish and had a great time.

The children also went golfing and spent time at the driving range hitting balls.

We only spent time on I-75 traveling to and from the airport. Although I-75 is crowded, we did not experience a back-up. That is another reason we like Marco Island. Once you get there, you can avoid the traffic and just kick back. There is plenty of things to occupy your time with right on the island.

We have also traveled a fair amount. In my opinion, Marco Island is not more expensive than anywhere else.

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Marco Island,FL
Destination Expert
for Marco Island
Level Contributor
573 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: trip report Marco Island

Because of the characteristics of the gulf sea floor, the Florida gulf coast is not a snorkeling/diving destination.

Randy

New Jersey
Level Contributor
181 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: trip report Marco Island

You should have done more research on Marco Island before you went there. You were looking for things to do that Marco Island does not provide. Marco Island is a wonderful place, it just depends on what you are looking for. I go to Marco Island all the time, and have done so for years. The places that you mentioned that you went to, except for Hawaii of course I wouldn,t go to even if my air fare was paid for. The moral of the story is do your research!

Western NY
Destination Expert
for Marco Island
Level Contributor
1,207 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: trip report Marco Island

I'm very sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy your trip to Marco Island. My family has been going annually since 1994. My two kids have been going since infancy (now 9 & 10). We absolutely love it probably for all of the reasons you didn't like it. We don't want a place with lots of young people running around, taking over, long lines at restaurants, crowded beach with loud music, etc. We love kicking back, relaxing, going to Jack's Lookout, watching the pelicans, going to TigerTail Beach at sunset, etc. We never leave the island once we get there either. I have heard others say to me that people go to Marco to die. If that's the case, send me anytime!

5. Re: trip report Marco Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2009, 12:21