We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What the %$@ is with spring break???

Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
1,872 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
What the %$@ is with spring break???

We've gone to Marco for Spring Break for years. Our kids have grown up with spring break on the island. We love the island. This year, out of nowhere...the car we paid a total of $200 for a monster SUV last year , this year is $600 for a Saturn. Did we miss something? Should we look into a limo service to the island? Our only fear is that we've been there before in March and the weather can be iffy. I guess the big question is weather in March???? Can we count on beach activities, or should we look to entertaining our children otherwise? Would appreciate any info. Annie

Western NY
Destination Expert
for Marco Island
Level Contributor
1,207 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What the %$@ is with spring break???

we're experiencing the same thing. Airfare is absolutely outrageous this year, too. Can't even look at cars yet. I would not go to Marco without a car. Need it too much. I think you will have good luck with March weather. We went in March for 10+ years and always had good weather. It may rain one day or evening.

Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
1,872 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What the %$@ is with spring break???

We talked it over and decided to bite the bullet. Can't go to Marco without at least one trip to Stan's and The Little Bar Restaurant. Also, the Coach outlet is a must. Have heard here that limo service is good and inexpensive. We always hire a limo in NYC. A stretch (we always have alot of luggage) from RSW to Marco is about the same as JFK to mid-town. If it was just hubby and me we'd do it, but we'll have the kids with us. So, we're going to allow ourselves to be gouged and we're just going to do a "Scarlet O'Hara" on it and worry about it later.

Kansas City, MO
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations
Level Contributor
1,026 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What the %$@ is with spring break???

Don't think it's just Spring Break. We vacation in Florida every summer (late June, early July) and always somewhere along the Gulf Coast.

While researching and planning these past two weeks, I was amazed at how much more it will cost us this year than last. Seems like everything has doubled, airfare, resorts, cars. Our summer vacation this year will cost us twice as much as last year's for the same amount of time, same type or hotel, etc..

I can understand some increase, but nearly double is quite disturbing. We will still do our yearly thing, but honestly, this year it's gonna hurt.

Western NY
Destination Expert
for Marco Island
Level Contributor
1,207 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What the %$@ is with spring break???

very interesting. Thanks for making us feel a bit better, Memphis Belle. Just crazy this year. Thankfully, we're going after Easter so our home rental is a bit better this year than in years past.

Saint Albans...
Level Contributor
54 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What the %$@ is with spring break???

We're going to Marco Island at the beginning of March. I, too, was somewhat taken back by the car rental rates. However, someone in this forum gave a website which I used to get a much better rate. The resulting reservation is with Dollar. Sorry, I don't have the website anymore but if you search, perhaps you'll find it. I made the reservation on 12/20/07 so you'll need to go back further than that date.

Marco Island,FL
Destination Expert
for Marco Island
Level Contributor
573 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What the %$@ is with spring break???

Check out rentalcodes.com

The Walmart customer codes usually work well, for example:

W810011 at Budget

Randy

Michigan
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: What the %$@ is with spring break???

We have used bnm.com which allows you to search multiple car rental agencies at one time. Also keep in mind that just because you make a reservation now, does not mean that you can't search later on in an attempt to get a better deal. We have found that as your rental time approaches, you can sometimes find deals because the rental company overestimated how many cars they would rent. Besides the discount codes that someone else mentioned, we have found good deals by using the Entertainment coupon book. I am flying into Fort Myers this Friday morning and leaving Monday morning. By using my Entertainment discounts, I am paying $51.87, which includes all taxes and fees for a full-size car.

Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
59 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What the %$@ is with spring break???

What is so special about marco island. I lived in S.Florida all my life and I can go any time I want but from what I see at the google satellite maps is an island of concrete and steel. You can probably hang out at a condo not much green there.

Marco Island,FL
Destination Expert
for Marco Island
Level Contributor
573 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What the %$@ is with spring break???

OK, prmas, we take a big topic change.

Marco Island is special because:

Beautiful Beaches which are relatively undiscovered. As long as you stay on the island, traffic is not a problem.

You can enjoy the beaches, without living in a wilderness. Plenty of area attractions, restaurants and a few bars. Even though the island is fully developed, the pace of life on Marco is slower and relaxing.

Marco is just about as far south as you can go in continental US (about the same as Miami granted) so it is a bit warmer than most of the rest of Florida.

Marco is developed, but it is not metro. For the most part it does not have the "canyons of concrete" feeling that metro areas (yet, the city council has its hands full trying to keep development under control).

I'm sure more people will pipe in here with what makes Marco special to them.....

Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Marco Island
Level Contributor
1,259 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What the %$@ is with spring break???

The first time I drove over the Jolley bridge, I told my husband to "turn around." I was certain I would NEVER like Marco Island. Friends of ours who own places on the island, convinced us to give it a try. We made reservations to stay there for a week for spring break a few years ago. What a visit it was. The beaches were wonderful-even during peak season. You could actually eat at the restaurants during peak season. The traffic was very tolerable even during peak season. The people are courteous and friendly. The island has a great "feel" to it. You will not know any of this by googling it on the map or just basing your impression on Marco by driving over the Jolley bridge--believe me, I know. Marco Island isn't like the rest of Southern Florida.