We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vacation in June

Which Marco Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
638 posts
106 reviews
Save Topic
Vacation in June

Hi Everyone! Trying to decide if we are going to visit Marco Island or Siesta Key. In the past we have vacationed in Key West. We'll be vacationing with our two daughters ages 9 and 12 and thought it would be nice to try something different. The girls loved Key West, just hated the long drive down. They are pretty easy to please, and just require a beach and love to hunt for sea shells. Aside from that, the only other requests that have been made are to go on a pirate ship and swim with Dolphins. Any suggestions as to where to go to to meet those requests would be most appreciated. We are planning to rent a house so we have our own pool and I found one located on Breakwater court. Is this a good area? Is it far from the beaches? The weekly rate is $900. Does that sound fair? 3 bedrooms, private pool and it says a boat dock. so possibly near a canal?

I hear the beaches in Siesta Key are some of the best beaches in Florida. How do they compare with Marco Island? Personally, from the pictures that I have seen posted here on Trip Advisor, I think the beach is much prettier in Marco Island, but those pictures are all by the Mariott. What about the other areas? I really do not want to go to a crowded beach. Any recommendations for things to do with the girls would be appreciated. Also, how far are the Everglades from Marco Island? I personally have never been and might like to visit? Will the mosquitos be ridiculous at this time of year? Thanks in advance for all of your help!

Marco Island,FL
Destination Expert
for Marco Island
Level Contributor
564 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vacation in June

Hi Jamey,

I can't compare Marco to Siesta Key, however the beach at Marco is beautiful. of the 2 public access points I personally prefer South March Beach. That is the beach you will see at this webcam:

marcoislandsuntimes.com/beachcam/beachpic.jpg

Breakwater is a fine neighborhood. It is not walking distance, but hopping in the car on Marco and getting around is quite easy. Marco is only 4 miles by 6 miles wide. You are not farther than 3 miles from just about any point on the island.

Sorry, there's no pirates still operating in the Marco area :>)

There are shelling excursion that will take you to beaches that can only be reached by boat.

You'll probably see dolphins on the trip.

Randy

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
19 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vacation in June

I can compare Siesta and Marco. We have a house on Marco but have vacationed in Siesta for 14 years. The sand at Siesta is so fine and just remarkable to walk in. Marco is much "shellier" and it is easier to walk the beach in beach shoes. Have you looked into renting a condo in the beach in Siesta? I am sure that you could get a lovely one for the same price as the house and walk out your door to the beach. On Marco I would suggest looking into the Tigertail Beach area (where our house is) for house rental. You can walk to the beach from that area. The Everglades are a short drive from Marco and would provide an opportunity for boat rides. Another great activity from Marco is the 10,000 Islands jet ski tour - really fun and informative. I don't know where the nearest swim with the dolphins activity is (outside of south of Miami). However, in Marco you could rent a boat (very easy to navigate) and see tons of dolphins. They will come right up to the boat. Hope this helps.

Western NY
Destination Expert
for Marco Island
Level Contributor
1,197 posts
232 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vacation in June

$900 for a weekly rental on Marco sounds very fair, very inexpensive actually. Are you coming after season? I highly recommend renting a boat for a 1/2 or full day. The maps are very easy to follow and you can find several "secret beaches" as my kids used to call them where you can anchor, swim and shell. Lots of dolphins along the way. Good dolphin viewing off South Beach at sunset and early evening. Good view from the Sunset Grille at the Apollo Condo. Great sunset from TigerTail Beach, too. If the kids like a good playground, there's a good one at Tigertail Beach and at Mackle Park. The beaches aren't really crowded on Marco.

Check out Captain Barry's manatee rides out of Port of the Isles (south of Marco). My boys enjoyed seeing the manatees, dolphins and gators.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
638 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vacation in June

Thank you to everyone for all of the information, recommendations that you provided. I chose Marco Island over Siesta Key. We could always take a day trip there if we want. The house I was originally looking at on Breakwater is not available for the time frame that I wanted so I found another home today and am just getting ready to review the contract. This home is located on Montego Court. From what I understand I am pretty close to the beach. I think we'll have a great time! Thank you again to everyone for your help in making this an easy decision!!

5. Re: Vacation in June

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 September 2009, 01:19
Get answers to your questions about Marco Island