We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marco Island - Size?

Which Marco Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
UK
Level Contributor
67 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Marco Island - Size?

Hi Guys

This may be a really silly question, but what sort of size is Marco Island??

My only experience of a beach resort is Clearwater?

Cheers

Western NY
Destination Expert
for Marco Island
Level Contributor
1,206 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Marco Island - Size?

I'm learning from our tripadvisor friends and I think I've read that the island is about 6 miles by 4 miles so not big at all. You can drive the entire island in about 15 minutes. There are a few major roads to get you across or down the entire island. The beach runs the entire gulf coast. If you're a walker, you could walk the whole thing. Three public access points (one north, one mid and one south). And of course, access at the hotels if you're staying in one.

good info at www.marcoreview.com

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
19 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Marco Island - Size?

Just a little clarification about beach access. There is public access on the north - Tigertail (have to pay for a Collier County pass) and south - South Beach (have to pay for parking). The middle access point is for residents only and requires a MICA sticker on your car or personal MICA ID carried with you through the gates. The main street is Collier Boulevard which was recently renovated and has great sidewalks for walking and biking. The speed limit on the entire island is 35mph.

UK
Level Contributor
67 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Marco Island - Size?

Thank you. I will be staying at the Marriott so am i right in assuming when i access the beach from the hotel i should be able to walk to all the beaches from there? Are they all adjoining?

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
19 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Marco Island - Size?

Great location - yes it is all one beach on Marco

Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
1,872 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Marco Island - Size?

Yes, the Marriott sits directly on the gulf beach. You can walk almost the entire length of the island if you want to. My husband does that frequently. I wave to him from my lounge chair. We have driven the entire island and it took more like 30-35 minutes. You've picked a great place! Have fun!

Western NY
Destination Expert
for Marco Island
Level Contributor
1,206 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Marco Island - Size?

Whatever happened to the new public access point that was being built last winter/spring that was supposed to be near the Marriott? No parking but access for walkers?

Marco Island,FL
Destination Expert
for Marco Island
Level Contributor
573 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Marco Island - Size?

It is there running along the property line on the North side of the new condos built by Marriot. There is absolutely no parking available. Nor is there any loading/unloading zone at the entrance. But it is perfect for biking.

Randy

8. Re: Marco Island - Size?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2009, 19:16