We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time to Marco

MO
Level Contributor
80 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
First time to Marco

We are visiting in late June for 3days and staying at the Hilton. We are not familiar with this part of Florida so we thought we would give it a try for a few days. We are then headed back to our regular place Sanibel Island. We have been going there for the past 8yrs. I am looking for suggestions on places to dine in Marco that maybe a little kitschy or fun. I love little shrimp or crab shacks. I am also looking for places that we must see. I was thinking of going to the Everglades for a tour or something similar. Let me know.

Thanks Suntravelgirl

Ringoes, New Jersey
Level Contributor
161 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: First time to Marco

You might enjoy the Snook Inn, it's right on the water, has a tiki bar and live music http://www.snookinn.com/

Stan's Idle Hour Restaurant, it's not on Marco Island, but the drive is a short one. Check the website for schedule in June and check out the "Buzzard Lope" http://www.stansidlehour.net/

Everglade City appears to be the closest to Marco Island and has the airboat rides, etc. www.florida-everglades.com/evercty/echome.htm

Enjoy your stay on Marco.

Western NY
Destination Expert
for Marco Island
Level Contributor
1,207 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time to Marco

If you're going to be there on a Sunday, Stan's Idle Hour on Goodland (another island connected by a land bridge to Marco) is a must if you like kitschy. It's on the way to Everglades City from Marco Island.

You'll enjoy happy hour at the Esplanade and maybe dinner in one of their restaurants.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
2,192 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time to Marco

OK Jackie- you trying to take away my advertising job with stan?????

Suntravegirl- stans on a sunday is a must .......

It is very different to Sanibel... which we have visited once 2005..very quiet would need to go with a gand next time but would go back... marco been 4 times since Y2000..love it...as do the rest of the family...just that flights are far too expensive from the uk (c $1400/1600 each!)

Hope you love marco...youwont see (well i havent as yet) any gators in the back yards of houses there!

Enjoy your trip..

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
2,192 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time to Marco

sorry meant to add that we have stayed at the hilton each time we visited ... love it but there is - as you may have read- construction happening next door.. this concerned me last year so i emailed the general manger there with my concerns and we secured a room overlooking the pool and not the tennis courts.. there was no problem and whilst we were there the hilton replaced all their patio doors in the rooms, that was done so well- no noise - we could watch the guys at work, replacing the doors in the rooms overlooking the pool.

I dont know exactly where they are building the spa.. so could be worth asking some questions?

Western NY
Destination Expert
for Marco Island
Level Contributor
1,207 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time to Marco

If you go to Everglades City, go to the museum (its very nice!) and ask the lady at the front desk which restaurants in town she would go to for lunch. She couldn't recommend any (against the rules!) but she gave us a pre-printed list and highlighted those she goes to. She's lived there 20+ years. She was right on. We had lunch at the very historic Rod & Gun Club built in the late 1800's and used as a private club by Barron Collier while he built the Tamiami Trail. Fascinating place. With rooms to stay in, too, and a pool. Yachts from as far away as NYC were tied up outside.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
2,192 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time to Marco

everglade site

southwestfloridatravelguide.com/evergladesci…

we thought this place was good ..drive straight thru everglade city

Historic Smallwood Store museum recreates the actual trading post, store and post office that opened there in 1906, serving the Native Americans and pioneers who made their living from hunting, fishing and faming in the wild areas of the Everglades and Ten Thousand Islands. The Smallwood Store Museum is open seven days a week from December through May from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. and is closed on Wednesdays and Thursdays from May through November. This museum features an extensive collection of books, including 'Killing Mr. Watson,' the first in a well-known trilogy of novels by author Peter Mathiessen on the story of Ed Watson, an infamous Ten Thousand Islands resident who was gunned down at the store by townspeople after rumors of murders and other ill deeds.

Western NY
Destination Expert
for Marco Island
Level Contributor
1,207 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time to Marco

Hi! We went to the Smallwood Museum but didn't get out of the car. Couldn't believe it was an actual museum! Wow...what a place! We were the only car around. Now I wish we had gone in. Can you imagine what the place looked like in 1920?!

South Park...
Level Contributor
13 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time to Marco

We stayed at the Hilton Apr 8-15. Make sure you pre-request room on poolside away from construction. But then in addition to the pool you may be looking over the roof of the lobby-restaurant building.

We especially liked Verdi's restaurant for dinner, Joey's for really good pizza and salad, NeNe's for breakfast. Snook's has good but typical seafood and is fun if they have the Buffett-style singer on. Recommend the short trip up to Naples to shop/dine on Fifth Ave South. Lots of interesting sidewalk cafes, but it may be too hot to eat outside in June. Mangrove Cafe there was really good. Take the "10,000 islands boat tour" at Everglades Nat Park, interesting and extra fun if you have the right boat captain (sorry can't remember his name). Definitely stop in at the Marco Chamber of Commerce visitors center (Collier Blvd near Bald Eagle Dr) for info and menus.

9. Re: First time to Marco

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2009, 00:16