We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question regarding car rental/lease for 3 months

NJ
Level Contributor
263 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Question regarding car rental/lease for 3 months

Hi,

I'm doing a little research for my inlaws. They rent a house in Marco each winter for few months (Feb-April). The drive from NJ is getting to be a bit much for them now, but they want a vehicle while they are there. Does anyone have any suggestions on a long term car rental or short term lease for them? They are considering shipping their car but we want to weigh the options. Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Naples, Florida
Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
1,737 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question regarding car rental/lease for 3 months

carrentals.com lets you put in your dates and compare rates from several companies -

http://www.carrentals.com/

NJ
Level Contributor
263 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question regarding car rental/lease for 3 months

Thanks very much for the reply and the heads up on that great website! Are you aware of any short term leases for cars versus rentals?

Thanks again.

Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Marco Island
Level Contributor
1,276 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question regarding car rental/lease for 3 months

With respect to long term rentals, be careful with respect to your insurance coverage. Often times, if you rent a car for more than 30 days (I believe the magic number is 30 but you should check), your auto insurance company (and/or credit card company) will not provide you with the auto insurance you need on the rental and you are stuck taking the insurance provided by the rental car agency which can operate to make the rental cost prohibitive.

To get around this, the car rental agencies will prepare multiple rental contracts for you (each 30 days or less). So, a couple times during your vacation, you will need to return to the rental agency to renew the rental. Doesn't take long, is a pain to do but money wise worth the time taken to do it. Usually you are able to keep the same car.

Some of the companies in an effort to get around this 30 day glitch issue will offer mini leases. Worth checking out.

Often times it is worth it to rent from an agency off of the airport premises. You eliminate the airport fees which really add up, especially over 3 or 4 months. Often times their rates are cheaper too but not always.

When I used to travel quite a bit, I would often call some of the big car dealers (used and new) in the area and see if they could cut a deal on a rental. Often times they would work out a deal better than the big rental agencies. They will often have a small fleet of vehicles available for rental for folks with auto issues.

We also have a friend who hires a couple guys to drive her car to Florida for her and she purchases them a ticket back home. Not sure if this is economical now with the ticket prices on the rise but something to think about.

Be sure to check different shipping companies. I have heard of big disparities in shipping prices.

4. Re: Question regarding car rental/lease for 3 months

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2009, 10:19