We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant Reviews

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
638 posts
104 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant Reviews

Thought I would post this separately. As mentioned in my previous post, we just returned from Marco and I thought I would post some info on the restaurants we ate at so here they are.

Almost Famous Mel's: Cost was $80 for 3 pulled pork sandwiches, one kids meal, 4 soda's and 1 loaded french fry appetizer. We live in Ohio, near Cleveland, so there are not many choices around us for barbecue. THe sandwiches were good. I grew up in Arkansas and think some of the best barbecue comes from Memphis, TN. Was this as good as what I used to have growing up...no, but it sure beats what we have locally here in Ohio. The loaded fries with pulled pork and cheese and beans and corn (basically everything but the kitchen sink) were awesome. Terrible for your waistline, but delicious. My biggest complaint was the fact that we actually paid $80 for pulled pork sandwiches. This led me to believe that every restaurant would be outrageous, which was not the case.

Snook Inn: $110 or $120 (can't remember) however I thought our meal here was very good and the price was very reasonable for what we had. They had an all you can eat seafood buffet on Thursday's and Friday's. My children are very different from most of my friends and familie's children. Althought my friends and family's children love hot dogs, and chicken tenders..etc. My kids love mussels, crab legs, lobster, clams, scallops...etc. So, we all had the all you can eat seafood buffet. I'm not really a huge fan of buffet's as I typically only find a few things that I like. This buffet was not huge, but what they had was very good. There was a salad bar as well. The seafood bar included crab legs, Mahi Mahi, Talapia, Tuna, Fried shrimp, Beef ribs, clams oregatano, some kind of oyster that everyone raves about (I am totally disgusted by oysters), mussels, peel n eat shrimp, corn, and potatoes. We all enjoyed the seafood buffet and everything was hot and fresh.

Nacho Mama's: We were quite disappointed with this restaurant. I'll start with the good....the Mango Margarita's are wonderful!

Our food was barely even warm. My husband found a hair in the Salsa, my daughter found a hair in her beans, and there was a hair in the chips and cheese. On top of that, the refried beans taste like they came right out of a can (which I'm sure they did). My husband ordered the chicken fajita quesadilla which he barely made it through half. I ordered the chicken Chimichanga which was soggy and tasteless and a taco which was swimming in grease....really gross! The girls both ordered wet burrito's which they said were OK. I would not go back there again.

Tokyo Inn - Japanese Hibachi. $115 with tip and all (other posts above did not include tip). Husband had steak, one of my girls had steak and the other chicken, and I had the steak and scallop hibachi. Food was great!!! There is nothing I can complain about. Hibachi meals do not come with Miso soup, they are served with a clear chicken broth soup. If you are a fan of Miso soup as we are, you'll want to ask specifically for Miso. We really enjoyed our meal here and it's always fun for the kids to watch the chef prepare the meal right there in front of you. The Chef was very entertaining!!

Geneva, Illinois
Level Contributor
59 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant Reviews

Thanks, Jamie.... I really appreciated the reviews. We leave on the 11th and I can't wait.

How old are your kids?? I have a 6 and 12 year old and I am hoping we will find enough to do.

glad you had a good time!

Marissa

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
638 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant Reviews

Hi Marissa,

My girls are 9 & 12. They really love the beach, so they did not get bored and that is basically all we did. We were either at the beach or at our house at the pool. They really love to hunt for shells, so that was their mission while we were on the beaches. If your kids would enjoy that, I highly recommend a shelling excursion or just combing the beaches.

We also rented a 2 person scooter car. The girls enjoyed that as well. We rented for 2 hours. For something different to do it was fun. With the 6 year old, you might want to go with a 1 hour trip.

I think there are plenty of things to do. We loved going to the movies there. We saw two of them. Their movie theatre is so great. My husband and I enjoyed a pitcher of beer one night and they serve food (not just popcorn and candy....sandwiches..etc.. and wine as well.). We went one night and my husband and I saw that new Angelina Jolie movie (it was really good) and the girls saw Kung Fu Panda while we were watching ours. They had the entire theatre to themselves and loved it!!! If you want more details on anything..send me a PM and I'd be happy to help as best I can. Thanks!

Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
1,872 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant Reviews

Thanks Jamey! Agree with Nacho Mamas. We loved it when it was a"hole in the wall" with plastic chairs and tables. It was great then. Then, it caught on and went straight into the toilet. I pointed out on a previous post that they're trying to do New York Chic (really rude to customers) and it's not working on Marco at all. Our last trip, I spoke to the owner and told him how bad it was, and he, being originally from Brooklyn, "didn't give a &%$#!" Enough said. Don't find that very often on Marco, we just happened to find that one place. The rest of the island is amazing! And so much better than anything in Ohio!

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
638 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant Reviews

It was really one of the worst meals we have ever had!!! We have a local mexican place that we go to on a weekly basis here. I wasn't for going to this place to begin with because I knew to some degree there would likely be disappointment because it wouldn't be as good as the place we go to here. This wasn't just disappointment, it was disgust!! Every where else we went was teriffic. I will safe our waiter at Nacho mama's was ver nice and friendly, but that's really the only good thing I can say besides the fact that I enjoyed the Mango Margarita. In hindsight we were thinking maybe we should have tried Amigos? All in all, still had a fabulous time.....hate being back!

Western NY
Destination Expert
for Marco Island
Level Contributor
1,214 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant Reviews

We like Amigos. Did not like the new place, Margaritas? In the Marco Town Center.

Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
1,872 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant Reviews

We also have our little Mexican place "up the street". We originally thought that was why we were so disappointed with Nacho Mamas. But, we loved it when it was a hole on the wall. Great food! It's become too trendy, like we said, it tres chic to be rude and snotty to your customers. Works in New York City, not on Marco. They were just rude and snotty! That Island is too small for people not to find out. Hope we do enough damange to the snots at Nacho Mamas. DON'T GO THERE!

Western NY
Destination Expert
for Marco Island
Level Contributor
1,214 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurant Reviews

I'm really bummed...we loved Nacho Mama's. Maybe we hit it on a good day. My sons love it. We also had a pleasant female server the last time. However, she did have an interesting comment that business was so slow that she was thinking about going elsewhere because she was down to living "tip to tip".

Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
1,872 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurant Reviews

That's probably why. Other than an unbelievable spring break crowd this year, Nachos has been all down hill. Too bad, like I said we loved it when... too bad they messed it up!

9. Re: Restaurant Reviews

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2009, 18:20