We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quest for a Tarpon

Woodstock, Md
2 posts
Save Topic
Quest for a Tarpon

My husband has been dreaming of catching a Tarpon since we went to Belize on our honeymoon....we checked the fishing timetables and planned our vacation around the peak season for the tarpon....so we are headed south for a week in may.

Can anyone give me tips on the best boat charters or best places to fish when we are in Marco island.

Thanks!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,185 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quest for a Tarpon

My son and his two boys just spent two days fishing with a guide out of the marina down at Goodland on the south end of Marco Island. They spent one day in the backwaters of the 10,000 islands and a second day in the Gulf about two miles out where one of the boys hooked a Tarpon (although that is not what they were necessarily after). Turns out he "got away", but that's okay...I'm not even sure it is legal to take Tarpon at this time of year.

In any case, if you would like to have the name of the guide, just send me a private message and I will get it from my son who is a VERY seasoned fisherman in all types of water and who felt the guide they hired was extremely competent and knowledgeable about the fishing around Marco.

Western NY
Destination Expert
for Marco Island
Level Contributor
1,207 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quest for a Tarpon

GrandmaMac - what is the name of the marina/captain that you worked with?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,185 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Quest for a Tarpon

JackiePaddy:

Didn't know if it was permitted to post the information here, but let's see what happens.

Captain Robert Walczak

www.tarpontails.com

Western NY
Destination Expert
for Marco Island
Level Contributor
1,207 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Quest for a Tarpon

thanks! I think its okay to share the names of vendors with whom you've had a good experience.

Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Marco Island
Level Contributor
1,250 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Quest for a Tarpon

We have fished with Captain Tim Brady. He fishes for Tarpon. He operates out of Everglade City. He will fish back, brackish and salt water to find the fish. We have used many guides in the area and in our opinion, he is one of the best. His number is 239-304-0601.

6. Re: Quest for a Tarpon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2009, 05:25