We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Screened Lanai...Necessary?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,191 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Screened Lanai...Necessary?

We found a very appealing property that we are quite interested in renting over Christmas / New Year's holiday. If it had a screened lanai around the deck and pool, we would probably have booked it by now...but, it does not.

Since the vast majority of pools / lanais are screened, this concerns me. What would be the drawback of NOT having the benefit of a screened area at that time of year? Appreciate any insights / experiences you can offer. Thanks!

The Boat House Motel
The Boat House Motel
#1 of 12 hotels in Marco Island
Marco Beach Ocean Resort
Marco Beach Ocean Resort
#2 of 12 hotels in Marco Island
JW Marriott Marco Island
JW Marriott Marco Island
#3 of 12 hotels in Marco Island
MN
Level Contributor
554 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Screened Lanai...Necessary?

From my experience this is low bug season. I think the screens are necessary in summer and maybe fall??? Summer for sure. I have encountered few bugs during the "winter" season.

Marco Island,FL
Level Contributor
573 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Screened Lanai...Necessary?

Hi GrandmaMac,

After Hurricane Wilma about 1/3 of the screen enclosures on Marco had to be replaced. Some owners chose not to replace their screen enclosures. I considered the same, but chose to replace because I would have had to spend too much time explaining it to our rental prospects.

If the home owner is compliant with zoning codes, he would have to have a fence. You might want to ask about that. Some patios are a few feet off the ground and without a fence to contain chairs and toddlers, they can fall off the edge.

There are no bugs in December to worry about.

Without the screen, some occasional debris will blow into the pool (leaves etc.) so the pool might not be as clean.

Without the screen, the views over the canal will be better and you do get the full tanning/burning power of the sun. However, I've had no problem getting burnt inside of the screen enclosure.

Have a great time on Marco, I know you will!

Randy

Mentioned in this post
Marco Island
Marco Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Western NY
Destination Expert
for Marco Island
Level Contributor
1,215 posts
273 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Screened Lanai...Necessary?

GrandmaMac - I like to use the lanai as a giant screen door - I keep the sliding glass doors open the whole day and I don't have to worry about bugs or geckos.

My kids and I get the same sunburn under the lanai that we do outside of the lanai. No protection for us.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,191 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Screened Lanai...Necessary?

Thanks for the helpful replies, everyone. I had considered the bug issue, but not the potential for extra debris (and maybe geckoes) in the pool and the convenience of being able to leave all the home doors open when there is a screened lanai. This particular home DOES have a lovely fence around the pool, but I had not considered possible drop off from the deck level.

You have really helped me to make a decision and I think we will pass. Too bad...this looks like a Great property in every other respect.

5. Re: Screened Lanai...Necessary?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2009, 06:22