We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seashells, Wildlife and Weather

Which Marco Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
CT
Level Contributor
205 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Seashells, Wildlife and Weather

Hello

I am planning our first trip to MI at the end of August. I was just wondering if the beaches have alot of unique shells (like Sanibel). What about dolphins and gators - are they common enough that we would see them on an everyday basis?

End of August could be a possible storm but we're willing to chance it.Other than that,is the weather and water beautiful(I love the heat)

Is MI more tropical than Siesta Key but not as tropical as Key West?

Thanks

Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Marco Island
Level Contributor
1,221 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seashells, Wildlife and Weather

I can try to answer some of your questions.

You can find lots of unique shells on Marco and Sanibel. The trick to good shelling anywhere is to pick your opportunities. Watch the tides and get there early. If you do that, Marco will not disappoint.

In August, the weather will be warm. You will see dolphins and manatees. You might not see manatees every day though. Seeing them can be less common. As for gators, I have never seen on on Marco. To have a better chance to see a gator, you may need to drive to the Everglades. You will see lots of them there. The last time my family played golf at Hammock Bay, we saw lots of gators laying by the ponds around the golf course. Hammock Bay isn't too far from Marco. However, I have never seen any gators there.

During the end of August, the weather will be warm. The gulf waters will be very warm too. You will really like swimming in the ocean.

I have been to Key West, Marco and Siesta Key. However, this is the question I struggle with. Marco will be hot, humid and has lush vegetation.

Western NY
Destination Expert
for Marco Island
Level Contributor
1,202 posts
234 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seashells, Wildlife and Weather

I agree, "less tropical" than Key West is difficult to respond to. Just a different kind of tropical. Full of palm trees and lush, beautiful flowers of all kinds. Lots of grasses. Beaches have protected areas full of endangered grasses and plants. There's a natural butterfly garden at Tiger Tail Beach.

Dayton, OH / Marco...
Destination Expert
for Marco Island, Everglades National Park, Goodland
Level Contributor
3,783 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seashells, Wildlife and Weather

Aligators/Croc's

The question I always get is are there aligators or croc's on Marco?

I've gone to Marco under 30 years and I have never seen one on the island or waters.

Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
1,872 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seashells, Wildlife and Weather

Have never seen gators, but have seen an abundance of sea turtles, sting rays and dolphins. Hubby and daughter love to kayak and always come back with amazing tales of sea turtles and dolphins. In August, all the resorts and condos on the gulf go "dark" at night. They don't turn on any outside lights because it's sea turtle hatching season. The babies hatch and make their way to the ocean. We were lucky enough to see this once in August. The lights of the resorts confuse the babies and they go in the wrong direction. So, all large complexes on the gulf go dark at night so the babies will go to the ocean, not toward the light. It's a huge effort for the natural wildlife. It's another reason why we love that island!

CT
Level Contributor
205 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seashells, Wildlife and Weather

^ When we went to Siesta Key last August, the beach was totally dark at night so we weren't even able to take a night stroll.Was it also because of the turtles?

Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
1,872 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Seashells, Wildlife and Weather

Could be. On Marco, they post signs on the beach so you know what's going on. We still strolled. We just stayed close to the resort. On clear nights (most) the moon and the stars were so bright that it didn't matter. We still strolled the water line.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
25 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Seashells, Wildlife and Weather

Hi jmestyle:

My husband and I just got back from Marco Island and Naples. We stayed in Naples as we fell into a deal, however, next year we are going back for two in April 2010 and will be staying at a condo on the 19th floor of right by Tigertail Beach. It looks like a very nice condo with a huge wrap around deck and facing the beach.

This year we went out on a pontoon with a USCG captain through Palm Breeze Charters (Bill Carlson) and we went into the 10,000 islands through Rookery Bay, to a secluded island where we found the most beautiful shells and star fish, then we came out and went back to Stan's at Goodland and had the best Clam Chowder we have ever had including the East Coast.

We also had good luck eating at Sunsets. Their crab cakes either the sandwich or appetizer are out of this world. The mussels in a garlic/tomato sauce were out of this world, et went back three times as we loved it so much.

The beaches at Marco were wonderful and we enjoyed swimming in the ocean very much. Never felt afraid like we did on the Atlantic side. In fact we never saw a jelly fish, thank goodness.

If you are so inclined, we would recommend visiting the Holacoust Museum in Naples. They have tour guides that are very knowledgeable and some were survivors from the era in Germany. Very interesting if you are interested in that part of history.

We just loved Marco Island and can't wait to go back next year. These are my suggestions use them as you wish. Moey

illinois
Level Contributor
16 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Seashells, Wildlife and Weather

was the pontoon tour expensive?

Naples, Florida
Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
1,712 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Seashells, Wildlife and Weather

Here is the website - the rate listed right now for the pontoon excursion is $125 and hour for up to 6 passengers.

http://www.palmbreezemarcoisland.com/home.htm

10. Re: Seashells, Wildlife and Weather

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2009, 05:19