We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

airport driving times

Which Marco Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
massachusetts
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Topic
airport driving times

Depending on price, we will either be flying into FLL or MIA.(Delta vs. American.)RSW is not an option. I have been told even if we fly into MIA, it would be faster to drive up to Ft. Lauderdale and take 75 over to Marco rather than take 41. That seems like going out of the way, but I figured I would ask the experts. We will be traveling next Feb. arriving Sun. of Presidents week and leaving on Friday. Thanks!

Naples, Florida
Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
1,712 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: airport driving times

I've driven from Miami airport several times and take 41 across (it saves about 30 minutes vs driving up to 75 from Miami). the road is 2 lanes thru some areas with lots of wildlife, and scenery. There are several areas where you can pull off the road and there are boardwalks and viewing areas to get a better view of the wildlife.

Beware of the speed trap on the indian reservation. When coming from Miami the speed drops to 35 as you pass Shark Valley - this only lasts a couple of miles but do drop your speed thru that area as they are usually set up and waiting to give out speeding tickets.

If you decide instead to fly into FLL - then you will be better taking I-75 straight across to this area. Your first major exit 101 or Collier Blvd - 951 will lead you west across the Marco Island Bridge and on to Marco Island.

Western NY
Destination Expert
for Marco Island
Level Contributor
1,206 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: airport driving times

I've also driven from Miami several times. Depending on your preference, speed limit on much of I-75 is 70mph. Traffic moves pretty quickly. If you arrive at night, I recommend I-75. If its daytime, 41 is fine. If you fly into FLL, definitely I-75.

3. Re: airport driving times

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 September 2009, 05:19