We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kayaking & Turtles

Sussex
Destination Expert
for Mana Pools National Park, Marco Island
Level Contributor
925 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Kayaking & Turtles

I recall recently reading here a post by a member about kayaking off Marco Island & regularly seeing dolphin & turtles.

I would be very interested in doing this with my family during our August visit and I would be grateful if anyone who has done this would post their experiences here.

Specifically, I would like to know how easy it is to paddle a kayak in the Gulf? Of course I realise that this will be weather dependent & we would choose our day accordingly. It is the tides that especially concern me - I know from navigating powered fishing boats around the island how strong the tides can be. I can imagine paddling a little way offshore and struggling to get back to the appropriate part of the beach to return the kayak!

Also, I would be interested to know how far out you have to paddle to stand a realistic chance of seeing a turtle or 2 (I know that dolphins can be found pretty much anywhere). The only times we have seen turtles in the past has been on fishing trips when we have been a mile or 2 offshore!!!

Many thanks in advance for your help & advice.

Dayton, OH / Marco...
Destination Expert
for Marco Island, Everglades National Park, Goodland
Level Contributor
4,036 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kayaking & Turtles

I've kayaked around Johnson Island and out to the gulf from Isle of Capris - this is North of Marco. I've kayaked in Canada on a smaller lake. My brother has kayaked from a Marco canal to Kice Island and back to Marco - South of Marco.

Have I or my brother seen a turtle in Marco while kayaking? No. Fish, Raptors, Pelicans Yes.

You hit the most important point of kayaking in Marco ... the tides .... you can't fight them. So the day you go know exactly when they are going out and coming in.

Go with the tides out to the Gulf. Find an island (they are north and south of Marco)and have lunch and walk the island. Then wait until it is time for the tide to flow back. Don't expect to go 10 miles out you don't want to be fighting currents when the sun falls.

One quick story. My brother did go to far out and at sunset he was stopped by the marine auxillary and questioned why he was out late without LIGHTS ON HIS KAYAK. In other words it must be illegal to be in a kayak on the water past sunset.

Dayton, OH / Marco...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,036 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kayaking & Turtles

You can rent kayaks. But you can do it without renting at the hotels on the beach. Saltwater Sports will deliver them to you at Caxambas Park or anywhere else. From there you can launch and go on a 20-30 minute paddle to Kice Island. You can see the island from the park. The shelling is outstanding and the same for swimming on the island beach. There is also a sand bar really close. I like to can sit and watch the boats go by. It is a very busy location and I have seen the tour boats park on the sand bars close to Caxambas. Being an expert kayaker is not required.

Tip: Bring your cell phone for an emergency the towers pick up cells at least to Cape Romano.

Bring sun tan lotion and plenty of water.

Pay attention to the tides.

Dayton, OH / Marco...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,036 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kayaking & Turtles

Here are two Youtube videos .. both off Cape Marco and in the Gulf. Kayaking off Marco Beach is much easier ... but this person enjoys the rough water and wouldn't do kayaking off Marco Beach.

www.youtube.com/watch…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x97e7Y7uvU4

Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
1,872 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kayaking & Turtles

I think I might be the poster you're referring to. My husband and my daughter have always had incredible experiences kayaking from the Marriott. For $25 per hour, they've made incredible memories! Feel free to email me and I will give you details!

5. Re: Kayaking & Turtles

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 March 2010, 05:16