We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Atlantic Hurricane Season Begins 1 June

Dayton, OH / Marco...
Destination Expert
for Marco Island, Everglades National Park, Goodland
Level Contributor
4,038 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Atlantic Hurricane Season Begins 1 June

See

cnn.com/2009/…

Here are 10 safety tips ...

cnn.com/2009/…cnnSTCOther1

The season ends November 30.

The season peaks in September each year.

"Why is September the peak month for hurricanes? NASA oceanographer, Bill Patzert at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, Calif., provided the answer: "Hurricanes are fueled by warm ocean temperatures and September is the end of the Northern Hemisphere ocean warming season."

This above note is from:

sciencedaily.com/releases/…080909154813.htm

London, United...
Level Contributor
963 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Atlantic Hurricane Season Begins 1 June

Hurricane Andrew hit on August 24th, while we were on the island. I remember the date well as it was my birthday. We were staying at the Marriott, and they let us stay on after we had signed a disclaimer. Typical of the Marriott, the staff who were there were absolutely fantastic. Many of them moved their families in, and cats and assorted pets in baskets. it was a strange atmosphere. My husband slept through the hurricane, although we could feel the buiding shake as gusts hit it. He insisted that he had survived the Blitz in London and this wasn't going to scare him.Within a short time of the hurricane passing , they served a complimentary buffet. And in spite of the power outage, the salads were still presented in style on crushed ice. In 1995, we were there with our children and grandchildren,celebrating our Ruby Wedding, when tropical storm Jerry hit on 24th August too. Now we avoid August, and go earlier or later.

Boston...
Level Contributor
136 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Atlantic Hurricane Season Begins 1 June

Clare you are making me nervous! We are headed to MI the 2nd week of August for the first time....fingers crossed!

Marco Island,FL
Destination Expert
for Marco Island
Level Contributor
573 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Atlantic Hurricane Season Begins 1 June

The gulf coast states are typically effected by the latter half of the season. I personally start worrying on August 15th and don't relax until Nov 1st. Sept 15th is the peak week for activity.

Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
1,872 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Atlantic Hurricane Season Begins 1 June

Mommy - not to make you more nervous, but we ran off the island from Hurricane Charlie in the middle of the night in August. It takes a ton of power to get me off of that beach! Charlie managed it! Evacuating, we met some amazing people. We met Brien of "Captain Brien's Restaurant" at a gas station when we were all trying to fill up and get out. My husband and Brien chatted at the pumps and we've been his "guests" at his restaurant ever since. Our plane was the last one to get off the ground before they closed RSW. We got home and were glued to the T.V. tracking Charlie's damage. Would I go (and take my children) to Marco in August...absolutely in a heart beat!!

Sussex
Destination Expert
for Mana Pools National Park, Marco Island
Level Contributor
932 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Atlantic Hurricane Season Begins 1 June

We also ran from Charley....August 2004.

It was an 'interesting' time, but everything is so well organised, it was not, for us, a problem. Just booked a hotel in Mami on the internet the day before, drove over late afternoon, watched the weather channel a lot in Mami & headed back as soon as the Jolley bridge reopened.

Last year we stayed put for Fay - it was only a tropical storm, but very interesting to watch the syies the day before & to hear the winds & rain as the storm came ashore at Cape Romaro, only a fe miles from Marco.

Shelling the following day was out of this word, though it was very sad to see the sea turtle nests being washed outon South beach.

Dayton, OH / Marco...
Destination Expert
for Marco Island, Everglades National Park, Goodland
Level Contributor
4,038 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Atlantic Hurricane Season Begins 1 June

A hurricane came through Marco the afternoon/evening before we arrived on RSW in the morning a few summers back.

My family insisted that we cancel the trip since we didn't know the exact time the hurricane was going to hit Marco. And we didn't know if anything would be functioning in FL. They insisted, for safety sake, to cancel the trip.

I won the argument but part of the party came a day later.

It was absolutely the most FANTASTIC shelling we had everseen on Marco. The family that arrived late will never do that again ... since they missed out on a day of awesome shelling. Eventually they agreed they made a mistake of planning their life around "what could have happened."

Marco Island,FL
Destination Expert
for Marco Island
Level Contributor
573 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Atlantic Hurricane Season Begins 1 June

A near-average Atlantic hurricane season is on tap for 2009, according to the seasonal hurricane forecast issued June 2 by Dr. Phil Klotzbach and Dr. Bill Gray of Colorado State University (CSU). The CSU team is calling for 11 named storms, 5 hurricanes, and 2 intense hurricanes, and an Accumulated Cyclone Energy (ACE) 88% of average. Between 1950 - 2000, the average season had 10 named storms, 6 hurricanes, and 2 intense hurricanes.

wunderground.com/blog/…

Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
1,872 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Atlantic Hurricane Season Begins 1 June

Is Marco worth the risk? I vote ABSOLUTELY! Having been there and done that, I'd do it again in a heart beat!! And I ran with my kids with me! Go!

London, United...
Level Contributor
963 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Atlantic Hurricane Season Begins 1 June

If it was a choice of Marco in Augeust, or no Marco at all, I would take the chance withut thinking twice!

Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
1,872 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Atlantic Hurricane Season Begins 1 June

Oh Clare, you kill me!!! Marco during a hurricane, when you have the Mediterranean (did I spell that right?) at your beck and call. You're a gem! We have got to figure a way to meet up for a drink at Quinn's!

Get answers to your questions about Marco Island